• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 2.3L 5 spd with 3.27 rear ratio

slowleak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've owned this truck for about 14 years now, never drove it much but lately have been using it more and more. My biggest gripe with the truck is that I need to be going 70mph to use 5th gear.
I need it to tow a small boat, about 1300lbs or so. It does fine dragging the boat around on the road, although taking off is pretty slow but its almost impossible to get up the ramp without stalling it or burning the clutch.
I had another Ranger which I drove more often that had a lower rear and it ran circles around this one.
The 1994 is just geared way too high, I can't figure what they were thinking when they built this combination. The motor is in great shape, in perfect tune and has only 40k on it. It's spent the last 14 years in a garage. Worse yet, if I run the air, forget towing anything.

What are my options as far as a rear swap? From past experience, I know the 2.3L is more than capable of towing, my other truck, a 1985, with a 2.0L ran circles around this one which is rated as having even more HP. That truck had a 3.73 gear, my 1997 had a 4:10 rear.
Was there a bolt in 8.8" rear that will fit my 1994?
I think its time to do some junk yard searching.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your axle will easily take 3.73, 4.10 or 4.56 gear sets. i would do the 4.10 gears as switching to 3.73's won;t get you all that much really and the 4.56's would be overkill for your needs.
if you could find an 8.8 from an explorer with 4.10's and rear discs, you would be set. only have to change the perches and hook up the discs.
finding a ranger with those same features may be quite a bit harder. way more explorers out there than rangers in most cases.
there are really good write-ups on this in the tech library here on TRS:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html

good luck with your swap and... Welcome to TRS!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you are looking for a strength upgrade, totally go with an explorer axle.
If you just want new gears, a junkyard 7.5" would be fine I'd think, and they are much more common to find with 4.10 gears. 4.10 gears is about 20-21% change, should be just what you're looking for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals