• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 5.0 expo-ranger build thread

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I got a 95 Ranger that needs everything! Motor, tranny, and interior. So I bought a 97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 2wd explorer to rob everything out of. The Ranger is in the body shop right now. Should be out in 2-3 weeks then the work begins! Gonna do a complete engine and tranny swap. So I will be going from manual to automatic tranny :( But the 5.0 I think will keep a grin on my face without a manual tranny. I am also gonna swap the interior (dash & harness) into the ranger! Including the info center and the ohc. Also wanting to do the keypad entry on the drivers door. I will try to keep you guys updated as I go!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome, read my SVT build thread, first post. It'll give you an idea of what you are going to need to do...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome, read my SVT build thread, first post. It'll give you an idea of what you are going to need to do...

SVT
I read your whole build thread a while back actually! Very informative! I wanna keep a.c. just like you did. One thing I haven't really heard much about is the trans crossmember. Does it need to be relocated? I am assuming not or I prob would remember reading something about it.
Sweet truck btw!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Mine needed relocating, but for different reasons. Great thing about the xmember is if it needs relocating, all you need to do is drill 3 holes. What I do differently on swaps I perform now is fab a slotted plate for the motor mounts so it allows me to slide the engine back closer to the firewall giving me more room for the cooling fan up front. With my engine placement, I have about 3" I can move my engine back from its current position. I'm thinking of redoing my swap documentary by using the plates and moving my engine back, then updating my swap post. This would allow me to use the awesome taurus E fan for cooling...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I got a question. I plan on buying a swap kit with the headers, mounts, oil filter relocater and such. Will I be able to use the stock clutch fan? Also doesn't TRS sell a swap kit?

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just got my thunderbolt mirrors in the mail! Gonna do puddle lights also!

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
What kits are you looking at ?

R U thinking high end kits ?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
So I got a question. I plan on buying a swap kit with the headers, mounts, oil filter relocater and such. Will I be able to use the stock clutch fan? Also doesn't TRS sell a swap kit?
The mechanical stock fan can be used, but depends on engine placement. Trs currentlt does not sell a swap kit...

SVT

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Check out L&L Products, they are a little pricey but there is none better for quality.
Their kits are complete, either auto or manual.
Their headers are thick and heavy, the mounting flange is 1/2" and the tube are at least 3/32" thick, about 0.093" and they fit really will even though there is a small notch needed on the passenger side rail on the frame.
Their oil adapter and filter mounting is very high quality, well worth the money.
The engine mounts are top notch, rugged and isolated.
All I can really say is you get what you pay for.

If this is a long term project and long lived in your garage a quality kit will pay for itself.

The fan, I am thinking the Explorer has close fit accessories and a shorter water pump shaft, all of this reduces the space needed in front of the engine and allows for more selection in the fan department.

Also, electric fans... Cause noise in the electrical system and can cause noise in the stereo or any radio system you ay have in the truck. I have additional radios, amateur Communications radios and found an electric fan a pita.

Good luck on the project.

Last edited:

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What kits are you looking at ?

R U thinking high end kits ?
I think it was a kit by summit for $450 or so.

Scrambled82... Are you sure you need to notch the frame on a 93-97? I have seen posts where they had to notch the frame on 98+ because the frame sets higher around the wheels because of the coilover suspension.

Been super busy and haven't made it to the body shop to see how far along the truck is. Hopefully I will get the ball rolling here soon!..... with pics!

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I think it was a kit by summit for $450 or so.

Scrambled82... Are you sure you need to notch the frame on a 93-97? I have seen posts where they had to notch the frame on 98+ because the frame sets higher around the wheels because of the coilover suspension.

Been super busy and haven't made it to the body shop to see how far along the truck is. Hopefully I will get the ball rolling here soon!..... with pics!
My 5.0 swap was in an '88 ranger STX 4x, the frame had to be notched, a lot different than a '98 + swap, different header type too.

Look at the L&L Product kit, they have a sight, might work for you.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For what it's worth I am looking for a cowl hood for my truck right now. Got any tips on any cheaper than the $650 cervinis?

Last edited:

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys LONG time no see. The ranger project is finally picking up steam. It has sat in the body shop for the last 15 months nearly untouched. Not because I wanted it to either! I did order a set of tri-y headers and a frpp dual sump oil pan for it today. Gonna use the expo to haul my quad to go riding this weekend then it's going out of commission to be dismantled to do the swap. It's now painted under the hood and unfortunately it's the only pic my phone will upload for some reason. :/ uploadfromtaptalk1428362678217.jpg

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the color!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I like the color!
Thanks! It's a new Dodge color called Blue Streak Pearl. It was a hard decision between that and Sangria Red like my wife's Focus. I ended up going with the blue cause everything under the hood etc. seems to stand out better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals