• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 5.0 swap custom tune needed

Mbcarter13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Swap
Transmission
Automatic
Can anyone point me in the direction of someone who can write a custom tune for an Explorer ECU? I have swapped an 00 explorer 5.0 Engine, 4R70W trans, Explorer computer and PATS into my 00 Ranger v6 4x4. I have done several engine modifications including EGR delete, deleting rear 02 sensors, mild aftermarket Lunati cam, 24# injectors, and Torque Monster headers. It cranks and runs but needs a tune. I was thinking about buying an SCT tuner for it but don't know of anyone that will write a custom tune specifically for my application. I saw a thread from a couple of years ago where RangerSVT wrote a tune for someone, but I didn't want to dredge up an old post.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SVT (Rick Guesse) can be found any day on Facebook v8 Ranger swap group, still does tuning with SCT.
Dave

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm a ways out on my project, but just to throw out a couple questions...

At some point I would like to build a 347 out of the 302 in my Explorer ('00 5.0, somewhat built 4R70W, 4406 manual transfer case) when it comes out to be freshened up (218k on it now) and figure it will need some tuning... don't want to loose fuel injection and do know what I'm doing tuning wise but not on Ford's or automotive based (I have full control with the software at work...). With a system from Moates would I have control over the settings where I could do my own thing, or would it rely on other peoples tunes? I'm not going to reinvent the wheel, just want a 347 with a reasonable cam with factoryish fuel injection and relatively reliable...

Mbcarter13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 Swap
Transmission
Automatic
SVT (Rick Guesse) can be found any day on Facebook v8 Ranger swap group, still does tuning with SCT.
Dave
I am a member of the group on Facebook so I'll look him up.

I also found 5 Star Tuning, who provides custom tunes for SCT tuners. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm still several weeks away from needing this. I had to pull the freshly rebuilt 4r70w transmission back out because it would only creep forwards in drive... I haven't driven it past the end of my driveway yet. Hoping I can get it back from my transmission guy soon :annoyed:

Grumpster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Custom Tunes

I just finished the install of a 347 in my Ranger last summer with several mods and had the tuning done using the SCT handheld with a laptop. I used James Gordon out of Florida to create the tune files. It took a lot of adjustments to get it right but I am very happy with the end results.
His phone number is: (407) 744-1881
Good Luck

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
if your more of a DIY type of guy give me a shout. I write all of the tuning support for the quarterhorse with tunerpro.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals