• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dream Plane

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
As some of you know I recently got my pilots license, well so far my planes been grounded getting IFR certified and some things are being worked on. (I get to be the test pilot again.) But recently my grandpa picked up a new plane. Now I've gotten to privilege to fly some cool planes, A Pietenpol Air Camper 75% scale of a DH-82 Tiger Moth and I've been working on getting proficient in the Cessna 180, and I might fly the Boredom Fighter (75% scale of a WW1 SPAD) even though it spooks me.

But out of the list of planes I want to fly I can check on off the list.
I present a real warbird a Taylorcraft L-2A.

Now I'm still sourcing some military records on this plane, it was built on May 7, 1943 as an L-2A the log book were lost somewhere in in 45, so that's where they begin. However I have the major alteration forms that show it was modified to look the way it is. The L-2A has a glass rear window, and this was converted to become more like a civilian DC-65 or the L-2 (YO-57), (FAA civillian designation DCO-65), it has the engine upgraded from the C-65 to a C-95 I believe. So it'can get off the ground in 100FT or less.
I've always wanted to fly a WW2 aircraft, and I do love cubs (Piper cubs were modified Taylorcrafts) and its cool to fly a piece of history. Being a history major its really fun.
We flew it back from Minnesota, having no experience I flew it from the back,
I brought my IPad with Foreflight so it was really nice. (And I must say its roomy in the back.) You can also move the seat for observation however with no rear window and desk its kinda no fun.

It was about a 10 hour trip which took two days, but I had a lot of fun. Great sights and good weather.
Recently I've been getting really good in it, I really love flying this plane above all else, its so simple and I really enjoy having great visibility. When I fly it I am relaxed and at peace.
Right now I'm waiting on my hard plastic license with my certification number, so I can get my taildragger endorsement and build hours in it.
I got more photos but I can't download them for some reason so maybe later I'll put them in.
Other news:
Trying to graduate is a pain in the butt.
Oh yeah so I'm not a pro photographer or anything but damn this image came out good.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking airplane

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bird dogs are neat little planes.

Your last pic is cool but it threw me off how you made the Bird Dog look like a trike... then it clicked you switched planes on me.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The Airplane I've always wanted is a Beechcraft King Air but failing that
a Piper Cheyenne-III(PA-42-720).

these are both of the school of thought that there is no turbo-Prop like a FAST turboprop

My thing is if it isn't powered by a PTC-6 engine I probably don't want it.

I also like the idea of a twin engine aircraft that can not only maintain altitude on a single engine, but actually climb! AND if the aircraft isn't one that has a single minded idea of killing me in single engine mode.

This disregards that all aircraft are first and foremost devices intended to kill an unwary pilot!

Of course you could go for more of an OFFROAD version of an Airplane like a Sherpa-Turbo an airplane that will vastly outperform a Piper Super-Cub while Carrying a disassembled Piper Super cub(https://www.google.com/search?q=sherpa+k650t+turboprop&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje1-SO3ePUAhUKaD4KHf_yAtIQsAQIMw&biw=1536&bih=710

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Bird dogs are neat little planes.

Your last pic is cool but it threw me off how you made the Bird Dog look like a trike... then it clicked you switched planes on me.
The Bird Dog is the L-19 a Vietnam era recon plane.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals