• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger 4cyl auto tranny?

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is there anything I can or should do while it's sitting on my carport floor before I put it back in? I have no clue how to get inside or what to do... it was working perfectly, no problems.. just wondering if there's anything I can do to take advantage of it being out... I know I'll have to fill with fluid because I lost it all or most through the back end on to the ground coming out with it... (no biggie, dirt/rock ground, and I'm moving in 2 weeks!!). I was warned about fluid leak/dump.. I just let it fly!! I've already cleaned it up pretty good..

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
How many miles on it?

If it's over 200,000 miles you might consider getting it rebuilt...while it's out...

Rebuilds are not cheap but neither is doing this all over again under different circumstances.

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
140... I thought about sending it to be rebuilt while it's out.. the only
Guy I talked to said he thought it'd be fine.. (he either didn't want my money or too lazy or just not interested or too busy with other stuff)

Now, I'm just here with it out.. I can't bring it anywhere now..

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I guess it depends a bit on how much you are going to use it...it could be good to 300 or 400,000 miles or better...it is partly dependent on how you drive...like rocking the truck on slippery roads when you get stuck or slamming it into gear or whatever bad things do to automatics.

The 2.5 doesn't put much more into it than a 2.3 and there were many turbo automatics that gave them much more...

So...yeah, might be fine...hopefully

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah well it's a 4cyl.. I don't hot rod.. it's 2wd so, no off-roading... but I'm about to drive it 2,000 miles to Montana loaded down towing my boat(small aluminum boat, but loaded with moving stuff).

It was working fine before.. has oil and crap all over it but I'm fairly certain that's junk from the motor..(swapping motor right now, that's why tranny is out)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would at least do the torque converter seal.

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bolting my transmission back to my new engine right now... new engine is missing one of the (I have no clue what it's called). Some kind of sleeve protruding from the bolt hole for transmission.. I'm guesssing it's some type of locator to aid in bolt hole lineup? My old motor has both but I can't seem to get one out... do they just knock out and tap back in??

This is only thing holding me up now... I'm ready to bolt it together and stab it in truck either later tonight or in the morning...

I also have question about drive shaft make up.. do I just slip it back in? Do I need to make sure anything is lined up a certain way?? I can't see what would matter.. just a splined end...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you can knock the alignment dowel out from the backside.
And the spline can go in any old way. just knock it into neutral after then turn it to line up the u-joint.

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think you can knock the alignment dowel out from the backside.
And the spline can go in any old way. just knock it into neutral after then turn it to line up the u-joint.
I didn't drop whole drive shaft.. it's still connected to rear differential..

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmmm, well then, disconnect it from the rear end and re-install.

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nevermind.. I figured out why..

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Man I'm catching hell getting this tranny back on my new motor.. got it back on last night but as I tightened it up, I couldn't turn the crank anymore... so I loosened it back up, tried again.. I did hear a distinct pop/clunk when first tightening it up.. thinking the worst last night/all morning I'm thinking I broke something(pop/clunk sound)... that stupid aluminum plate/dust cover is a lil bent up.. I tried straightening out best I can.. I can't figure out how that would or could keep motor from turning.. (besides the pop/clunk sound, felt/heard some crackling/gritty/grinding sounds tightening bottom 2 bolts making me think I cracked tranny housing itself, but I can't find any cracks and hoping the crackling/gritty/grinding sounds was just sand/dirt in threads or aluminum dust plate)

Stuff I've found searching around suggest torque converter not all the way in... so I've pulled it completely back apart now...

But I still have no clue what that pop/clunk sound could've been.. I was thinking I broke the flywheel(flexplate) but it's fine..

Marshman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sorry my post had to be moved around.. I didn't know there was a special trensimiddion section.. again, my apologies..

I got it bolted together.. it was my torque converter not being seated all the way.. I just hope I didn't break anything!!

I stuck the motor back in today.. now I gotta get all hooked back up.. praying!!

I did forget to screw the cooler lines back on but i should be able to in place.. and I forgot to slip the dipstick tube back in... I'm hoping there's enough clearance against firewall to slip that back in.. haven't tried yet..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals