• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick question

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Alright so I have a 1996 Ranger XLT, and I have some questions about cleaning the engine, mostly how to get off grease and dirt off the outside of my engine and transmission. I do have pictures of what the engine looks like currently, if you guys want me to post them

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
We've all seen that look. How clean do you want It?

I've had fair luck with the engine cleaner stuff at the do it yourself carwash. I disconnect the battery and cover it with a plastic bag. I'm also carefully to avoid spraying ignition components with the high pressure spray.

There are spray on foaming engine degreaser at places like Advance, AutoZone, ORielly's, etc. I've used those also with pretty good success.

Purple power works when mixed with a liberal amount of elbow grease. Dawn dish detergent might also work.

I'm usually happy to just get most of the loose dirt and more than half of the grease and oil removed. If you want it "show quality clean", prepare yourself for a bunch of work, including removing parts to access the smaller nooks and crannies.

The ultimate for an engine that old would be a complete disassembly, clean everything and repaint as you re-assemble.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s2hidzrrrs5lv6/IMAG0017.jpg?dl=0
That is roughly how bad the entire underside of the engine is, which is my major concern. The top has a little bit of dust on it, but that is due to things. 1, It's RWD and there a huge empty dirt lot 4 miles from my house. 2 Several natural events like dust devils, wind storms and Haboobs. But yeah, the underside is my biggest concern

Last edited:

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dont know where you are at but there are products that will clean very well. Costco sells fabuloso, some place like dollar tree sell awsome spray. Awsome is a good grease cutter and can be gotten in gallon jugs. if you power spray a lot will disappear. If you spray the top cover the alternator, coil unit for sure if running an open air filter it will need to be covered also

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks man. I will try that when I get the time

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6s2hidzrrrs5lv6/IMAG0017.jpg?dl=0
That is roughly how bad the entire underside of the engine is, which is my major concern. The top has a little bit of dust on it, but that is due to things. 1, It's RWD and there a huge empty dirt lot 4 miles from my house. 2 Several natural events like dust devils, wind storms and Haboobs. But yeah, the underside is my biggest concern

do you happen to be in arizona? if so where?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you have a detailing shop nearby... they may have a steam cleaner that would clean it pretty well. Local car dealers might be able to point you in the right direction too.

I use oven cleaner on disassembled parts/vehicles... spray on engine degreaser works OK too.

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
do you happen to be in arizona? if so where?
I live in San Tan Valley, if you don't know where that is, it's fine, is surrounded by Queen Creek, Apache Junction, and Florence.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I live in San Tan Valley, if you don't know where that is, it's fine, is surrounded by Queen Creek, Apache Junction, and Florence.

i know where that is at i live in Arizona city close to Casa Grande, Eloy, Coolidge.. we might have to get together sometime and have a drink:beer:or 2 :beer::beer:.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
A good high pressure washer will get most of that off. If you want it cleaner, get a couple of cans of engine brite, gunk, or any of the other countless number of engine cleaners out there. Spray the engine down and drive it to the local car wash (driving it will heat the engine up and help the cleaner). Hit it with the high pressure washer again. It will never be completely clean, but it should be somewhat clear of oil/dirt/road grime. My Explorer looks like that as well and all I do is the car wash.

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i know where that is at i live in Arizona city close to Casa Grande, Eloy, Coolidge.. we might have to get together sometime and have a drink:beer:or 2 :beer::beer:.
You're gonna have to give me a few years before I can man.

dude55man

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals