• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag Recall

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
So I remembered I had a letter stating that my 07 Ranger had an airbag recall, and at the time Ford said they didn't have the parts to do the recall yet. However upon a call not that long ago they still don't have anything.

It's probably been about a year or maybe even more since I got that letter. Is this some sort of joke? Or is their plan to get people to forget about it so they don't have to change out the airbags?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They have determined that certain geographic areas are more prone to trigger the failure than others. This one is primarily an issue in sustained high humidity areas, like islands.

The airbag was made by a third party, who will ultimately be responsible for engineering the fix, making the replacement parts, and supplying them to Ford. The dealerships in the primary areas (IIRC they had designated those as the US Virgin Islands, Bahamas/Bermuda, and Hawaii. Once all those vehicles are accounted for they will start sending seed stock to other dealerships to repair the vehicles in their area. At that point you should get a second letter letting you know they have a fix and parts are available.

Also, bear in mind that this recall doesn't just affect the Ford Ranger. Mustangs, and many other Ford models had airbags with the same issue as well as GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota. IIRC about 3/4 of the airbags in all vehicles made anywhere, regardless of brand, have air bags made by this one supplier.

Since it is a safety recall there is no expiration, and since it has been announced and submitted to NTHSA Ford is committed to fixing them now, but they can't do it until parts are available.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
They have determined that certain geographic areas are more prone to trigger the failure than others. This one is primarily an issue in sustained high humidity areas, like islands.

The airbag was made by a third party, who will ultimately be responsible for engineering the fix, making the replacement parts, and supplying them to Ford. The dealerships in the primary areas (IIRC they had designated those as the US Virgin Islands, Bahamas/Bermuda, and Hawaii. Once all those vehicles are accounted for they will start sending seed stock to other dealerships to repair the vehicles in their area. At that point you should get a second letter letting you know they have a fix and parts are available.

Also, bear in mind that this recall doesn't just affect the Ford Ranger. Mustangs, and many other Ford models had airbags with the same issue as well as GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota. IIRC about 3/4 of the airbags in all vehicles made anywhere, regardless of brand, have air bags made by this one supplier.

Since it is a safety recall there is no expiration, and since it has been announced and submitted to NTHSA Ford is committed to fixing them now, but they can't do it until parts are available.
Yeah I guess I'll just continue waiting it's just been awhile.
Weren't the airbags made by Takata? I know they had some other problems with airbags on other vehicles as well.

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I find it odd that Ford hasn't replaced it yet being that you are in hot Texas (Zone A).

I live in the Pacific NW and received an airbag recall notice in the mail about 2 months ago for my Lexus. I think I'm in the zone (Zone C) that was to wait the longest. None-the-less Lexus got it replaced for me asap.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got a letter about a year ago from Ford saying my 2008 Ranger was also on the air bag recall list and I also have not heard anything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals