• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

UC Davis pepper spray incident

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im sure everybody has heard about this by now, if you haven't just google it. Am I the only person in the world that doesn't feel bad for these people? What do you expect will happen when you blatantly disregard orders from the police? I don't care how "passive" they were, they were non compliant to the fairly simple things that were requested of them (remove tents and bedding, make room for police to patrol) I think they are lucky it was only pepper spray. Anybody remember kent state? Tienenman square?

Last edited:

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree. i dont feel bad for them.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds what has/ is happening at UC Berkeley and all the other occupy protests. They ignore what the cops say, then get butthurt when the cops use force to remove them.

Idiots.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
The good news is....freedom of speech & assembly

bad new is.....if I start acting a fool, some fool is gonna start pounding on my head & spraying nasty stuff in my body orifices...

and sometimes, even when I behave, some fool still pounds on my head (probably to take out the agression from the arguement he had wiff his wiff the nite before....)....as a Vet, I realize that we should be way thankful for our rights, and push those rights to the limit sparingly.

(Spell Check infringes on my right to make a point typographically)

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I can see both sides of the spray/dont spray issue. The Department I worked for here in Kentucky (and a lot of others I'm sure) have a Force Continuum. It describes the level of force thats acceptable based on the level of force you encounter, also gives you the ability (legally) to go to the next higher level of force than what you are encountering.

The passive resistance thats being shown in the photograph does not appear to warrant the level of force used (I.E. pepper spray) but it is ultimately a judgment call on what that officer perceives at the time. There is no indication of whats going on outside the parameters of that photo, so it's hard to second guess that officers judgement. Only he can justify his actions at that time.

On the other hand, I can see where it would be tempting to just spray them all and let them stew in it :)

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The good news is....freedom of speech & assembly

bad new is.....if I start acting a fool, some fool is gonna start pounding on my head & spraying nasty stuff in my body orifices...
true, freedom of speech and assembly doesnt include the freedom to ignore the authorities, even passively.

and sometimes, even when I behave, some fool still pounds on my head
theres always that chance too, but as best as i can tell, this was not the case. from what i have read they were given instructions that the refused to follow.
....as a Vet, I realize that we should be way thankful for our rights, and push those rights to the limit sparingly.
thats a good point too, and thanks for serving!

The passive resistance thats being shown in the photograph does not appear to warrant the level of force used (I.E. pepper spray) but it is ultimately a judgment call on what that officer perceives at the time. There is no indication of whats going on outside the parameters of that photo, so it's hard to second guess that officers judgement. Only he can justify his actions at that time.
it is hard to tell for sure, a picture or a short vid shows so little of the whole story. i think thats why this issue has gotten so much media coverage. it looks like a random cop is pepper spraying a group of well behaved students, but the stories i have read are telling me otherwise. while its not impossible, its unlikely that they really were just sitting there minding their own business like little angels.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
Judicious and copious use of pepper spray would have stopped this 'occupy' shit in it's tracks had it been done in the beginning.

Spray 'em all. Every last one.

CarsonChris68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 BII
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
After watching the OWS people going after school kids in New York I want to see sculls cracked.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Judicious and copious use of pepper spray would have stopped this 'occupy' shit in it's tracks had it been done in the beginning.

Spray 'em all. Every last one.
this

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i hope they spray everybody in every city that's at these things. they're all a bunch of lazy idiots. (i know they have their right to free speech, but it's getting annoying, i'm tired of hearing about it)

i'd love to stand outside all day and complain that nobody is giving me free money or $100k a year job, but i have a stupid job i have to go to so i'm not a drag on society. oh well. maybe one day.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Freedom of speach is cool. But when you don't move when ordered to or use force against a cop, then it is time to get pay back. I just wish it would not cause any issues at all and nobody gets hurt.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i hope they spray everybody in every city that's at these things. they're all a bunch of lazy idiots.
now thats not fair. i know people that go to UC Davis that were not a part of this protest, thats the whole reason im part of this debate outside of TRS. I'm not even bashing the protestors, let them protest lawfully. But for people to say that the police were wrong for taking control of the situation just pisses me off. They have a job to do and have to make decisions on how to handle the situation.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
some of them have a legitimate gripe. others don't. I didn't read this or watch the video or what ever it is but ...... IMO ...... a cop has no right to force unless they are threatened or somebody else is threatened...... period .......

I once had a cop that kept threatening to taze me (because I was irate and told him so in no uncertain terms what I think of cops .... 'specially the IL state police..... maybe because I had been pulled over 6 times already that day for absolutely no reason other than driving a vehicle that fit a certain profile with an AZ tag on Interstate 44 and interstate 70 (apparently major drug corridor) and kept trying to tell me that refusing a search was probable cause to search until I told him he was on video and pointed to my cell phone.

The older I get the more I hate cops and the more I believe that they try to provoke you into a fight just to arrest you.... which is entrapment.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Shit, should spray the protesters with something other than pepper spray. It comes in brass cases. That'll light enough fire under 'em to go get a job.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think any protestors were shot at Kent state I think it was innocent bystanders that were hit. Some were even hundreds of yards away. How many of you have actually gone down and seen what the OWS looks like? I'll bet none. I have and it was not that big a deal. Just some people gathered around listening to some guy giving a speach about cutting the military budget. ( yes that included the wars ) The only exciting thing was the guy with a cup and a plastic bag covering his six pack of Labat Blue. Yeah he was drinking and no he wasn't part of OWS. He walked around the square talking to anybody that would listen.

Remember one mans anarchist is another mans patriot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals