• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 issue, dash light comes on, but no 4wd... Electric.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So here's my situation. Transfer case was rebuilt just before winter, put less than 5k miles since then. Transfer case is solid. And 4x4 worked great when I needed it during winter.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago...

When I switch into 4hi the light lights up in the dash, all good there no indication of a problem. Same for 4lo. I can hear it actually moving, so that's good. Problem is no 4x4. Huh? Okay so I take the shift motor off, switch it between the modes with motor off t.case(2w 4hi, 4lo) motor is working, it's rotating etc.

Now, I'm confused as hell. So I put the motor back in, shift it to 4hi, and take the motor off. There's my issue, it's not fully shifting it to 4hi in the transfer case. So the shift motor wasn't fully rotating.

Okay so I replace the shift motor. Brand new one. Same issue......
By the way I can manually shift it with vice grips perfectly fine and it engages great. It's not hard to shift by hand at all so I don't see why the motor is having issues?

What gets me is the dash lights and everything think it's shifted perfectly fine. Normally it wouldn't light up, or would flash or whatever. And the fact it worked great all winter, and works manually, so I know it's not something wrong with the transfer case rebuild.

Any ideas? Is there some sort of shift motor module thing that might be preventing the motor from going all the way? It's as if the shift.mltor isn't rotating it enough to engage. I've tried whole.movong, stationary, nuetral, park, etc.

jdm4721

Reaction score
What year is your truck? If its a 2000 or older (i think is the right age range) they came with PVH hub crap and most replace them with manual hubs. If you have stock hubs, chances are your 4x4 is working and turning but the hubs aren't locking and you're not getting power to your front wheels.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jdm4721

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my '99 4x4

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, forgot to mention it's a 2006 model.

But like I said when I shift it with vice grips 4x4 high and low both work perfectly fine.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I figured I'd look for a new transfer case control module. Got the numbers off mine, and I can't find a replacement to save my life. Anyone know if another part # is compatible?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry coming in late to this

Inside the shift motor are 6 contacts that "tell" the shift module that the motor is moving and when to stop the motor for the selected "gear"
The dash lights shouldn't come on until the correct contacts are closed and motor has moved shift rod to the correct position.

Pictures here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

This is why there should be a delay from when you select 4lo and when the 4lo dash light actually comes on.
2wd to 4lo takes the longest time since motor has to turn 270deg

But even shifting from 2WD to 4hi should show a slight delay

So your motor was moving but not all the way to the correct shift position for 4hi and 4lo
But it would move to correct position for 2WD?

And it never was in Neutral?
Neutral is between 4hi and 4Lo, across from 2WD, I would think if shift motor wasn't turning far enough you would have ended up in neutral going to 4lo

Shift rod can't rotate 360deg, just 270deg from 2wd to 4lo then back 270deg to 2wd

new 4X4CM for 2006 seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-4X4-TRANSFER-CASE-SHIFT-CONTROL-MODULE-FORD-RANGER-EXPLORER-SPORT-TRAC-/361331751870?fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry coming in late to this

Inside the shift motor are 6 contacts that "tell" the shift module that the motor is moving and when to stop the motor for the selected "gear"
The dash lights shouldn't come on until the correct contacts are closed and motor has moved shift rod to the correct position.

Pictures here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

This is why there should be a delay from when you select 4lo and when the 4lo dash light actually comes on.
2wd to 4lo takes the longest time since motor has to turn 270deg

But even shifting from 2WD to 4hi should show a slight delay

So your motor was moving but not all the way to the correct shift position for 4hi and 4lo
But it would move to correct position for 2WD?

And it never was in Neutral?
Neutral is between 4hi and 4Lo, across from 2WD, I would think if shift motor wasn't turning far enough you would have ended up in neutral going to 4lo

Shift rod can't rotate 360deg, just 270deg from 2wd to 4lo then back 270deg to 2wd

new 4X4CM for 2006 seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-4X4-TRANSFER-CASE-SHIFT-CONTROL-MODULE-FORD-RANGER-EXPLORER-SPORT-TRAC-/361331751870?fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger
That's why I was confused by the lights working fine.

When I shift it to 4hi, there's a short delay, then the light pops on with two clicks. But still only have 2wd.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the 4WD lights can come on unless that contact wheel in the motor is in the correct position.
Lights should flash if 4X4CM doesn't detect movement of motor, i.e. contacts not changing as wheel turns.

4X4CM has 2 relays that reverse polarity on the motor to move it clockwise or counter clockwise(like power window motors) to move it to correct place(correct contact pattern)

It could be a wiring issue since you changed the motor/contact wheel already, but would expect 4X4CM to "report" that by flashing the 4WD lights
4X4CM thinks all is well when it is not :)

So could be 4X4CM has lost its mind.................but doesn't know it.............just like the rest of us, lol.

Here's the wiring diagram for the 4WD 2006 Rangers

Attachments

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think the 4WD lights can come on unless that contact wheel in the motor is in the correct position.
Lights should flash if 4X4CM doesn't detect movement of motor, i.e. contacts not changing as wheel turns.

4X4CM has 2 relays that reverse polarity on the motor to move it clockwise or counter clockwise(like power window motors) to move it to correct place(correct contact pattern)

It could be a wiring issue since you changed the motor/contact wheel already, but would expect 4X4CM to "report" that by flashing the 4WD lights
4X4CM thinks all is well when it is not :)

So could be 4X4CM has lost its mind.................but doesn't know it.............just like the rest of us, lol.

Here's the wiring diagram for the 4WD 2006 Rangers
Thanks I'll take a look at that when I get home.

I have readthat the 4x4cm can go crazy when you boost the vehicle, which I've done but who knows.

Ill take a look at though, before ordering a new CM. Just confused me since two motors act exactly the same, only thing I haven't changed in the 4x4 system is the switch. And the CM. So maybe I'll just do both for the hell of it and cross my fingers lol.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up a control module, hopefully I have time to slap it in and see if it works.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Control module didn't help. So I took the case off the truck and sent it back into the shop that rebuilt it. They're cracking it open and seeing if there's something up. Warranty is great.

Will report back.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So they say the case is fine and nothing wrong. I'm at a total loss here. Do I just keep replacing parts over and over till it finally works? Wtf.

I forgot to mention that the shift motor actually was turning it all the way to the 4hi mark on the case. I didn't think it was at first because the shaft on the case that the motor turns, snapped right back to 2wd when it was supposed to be in 4hi.

So the motor was shifting it to the right spot, but it wasn't engaging front output. Manually turning the shaft beyond the 4hi mark on the case engaged it.

I told the shop this several times when I dropped it off. But they're trying to say it's fine and it's my motor.

I'm guessing they just don't want to do warranty repair. Im going to look at it today, I told them to leave it open so I can see what's going on.

But I'm at a loss.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finalk update guys, they gave me a new case they had sitting in stock, and it works perfectly so I'm good to go.

There was definitley something not lined up right on my old case. even though they say it was fine. the shaft that the motor turns, was just way off on my case. new case it's bang on so.

anywho its working now, all good!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals