• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anti theft engaged HELP

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
b/c if adsm says there ain't, i'm pretty dang sure there ain't one... i'll take his word over probably everyone on here..
I'm not always right. In this case I'm sure I am because I had all the wiring diagrams pulled up and I was looking at them to see if there was anywhere the radio and anti-theft touched.

He must have done something to put the truck in lockdown, either snipped the wrong wire by accident or popped a fuse and then tried to start it too many times.

Or the starter just chose this moment to die. I've seen that before too. Happened to me on an Explorer last month.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
...wait... You cut all the wires at once? You do realize even when the truck is off one of them is live, don't you? Never, ever be lazy and cut wires as a bundle. Next time, buy the harness adapter! You definitely popped something, go check your fuses again. Which fuse did you replace already?

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Why oh why would you cut your harness?!? :nono: Put everything back together and buy the adapter. You should slap yourself for doing that in the first place. :nono:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not always right. In this case I'm sure I am because I had all the wiring diagrams pulled up and I was looking at them to see if there was anywhere the radio and anti-theft touched.
didn't mean it as you were always right... Just you know your stuff. You hce a rep on here of having the knowledge people need. :icon_cheers:

And I agree with the majority: think about a vehicle harness next time.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
WTF is wrong with people that the first step to changing their radio is that they take a pair of wire cutters and just chop the whole harness?

Disconnect your battery. Reconnect ALL of the wires you cut and look around to make sure you didn't nick something else in the dash when you chopped them. Use soldier and heat shrink tubing to fix what you cut. Then go through the fuse panel in the dash and the fuse panel under the hood, replace any fuses you blew.

Start there.

As much as I love playing around with electrical stuff, I'm getting tired of fixing hacked-up wiring harnesses.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yea, its a real PITA for the next guy. When i bought my current truck, the PO stuck a CD player in there that never worked right as it had no dash lights/keep alive memory etc.. so one day i decided to see whats up and pull out the radio and i think i cringed for a bit.
the original harness is GONE WTF. the nabs only had 2 wires hooked up to it, ground was a piece of 14 gauge solid copper wire to the dash and wired it to the radio. accessory+ was splice of some red wire in the steering colum... did i mention the mess of wirenuts and electrical tape? good news is i found the remains of the old harness, well the power side, speaker side is missing, along with speakers.. and imedietly went to the nearest boneyard and bought a harness and factory radio and soldered it in. no more problems!

i guess the moral of the story is dont do have ass electrical work, sometime, somewere, someone is gona have a fun time fixing it!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
yea, its a real PITA for the next guy. When i bought my current truck, the PO stuck a CD player in there that never worked right as it had no dash lights/keep alive memory etc.. so one day i decided to see whats up and pull out the radio and i think i cringed for a bit.
the original harness is GONE WTF. the nabs only had 2 wires hooked up to it, ground was a piece of 14 gauge solid copper wire to the dash and wired it to the radio. accessory+ was splice of some red wire in the steering colum... did i mention the mess of wirenuts and electrical tape? good news is i found the remains of the old harness, well the power side, speaker side is missing, along with speakers.. and imedietly went to the nearest boneyard and bought a harness and factory radio and soldered it in. no more problems!

i guess the moral of the story is dont do have ass electrical work, sometime, somewere, someone is gona have a fun time fixing it!
You mean something like this?

For all those not sure of how it should look....

cotysranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have tried unhooking the battery and i have left it off overnight both cables.....Do i need to just put the pos. on and leave the neg. disconnected

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
lil blue, thats looks like professional job compared to the crap i pulled out.. atleasted you didn't have bare wires or electrical tape and 3 different sized wirenuts...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
lil blue, thats looks like professional job compared to the crap i pulled out.. atleasted you didn't have bare wires or electrical tape and 3 different sized wirenuts...
Look closer, there is one bare wire, one wire not connected to anything (a speaker wire of course), a couple oversized wire nuts (the yellow ones) a couple crimp-on wire nuts, and those fancy clearish connections were spade connectors before someone shoved a bare wire in and smashed them flat with a pair of pliers.

All in all, it's one of the better done ones I've fixed. I don't have pictures of some of the nightmare's I've had to deal with (Farva - AKA Sherrodwannab2's Bronco II being one of them).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals