• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 Ranger Wipers new member

MCFetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 Ranger 4wd that we inherited from my Father in law. My son drives it to high school. It has less than 100k miles on it. I have read a lot about these wipers as we are having an issue. At first they would either not run at all or would run all the time on high. The multifunction switch went bad for the turn signals. I replaced the switch with a brand new one from standard ignition. After that the wipers would work on high & low but no delay functions. They would turn off. After a couple of weeks, they started running all the time, but you could move the switch to the high or low position & the speed would follow. We replaced the motor and had the same thing. Today, it was raining so my son plugged the motor in and says we are to the high/low and can turn off again. I have checked/swapped relays. Can someone give me another direction. I like to think I am a decent mechanic but this has been going on for quite a while & I am running out of areas that I know to look. Thanks in advance for help.

MCFetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Haven't heard anything from anyone but I still need help. I got a pigtail off of an Explorer that a neighbor had. Ground the black wire. Put power to the white lead and have low speed. Power to the db/o and have high speed. At this point not worried about delay. Ran white & db/o inside to toggle switches. Now all i have is high. If I unplug the db/o from it's toggle switch, low works. Can someone tell me what I am missing? Thanks.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Here is a document I wrote up that may help a bit. Not sure if a '98 is wired exactly like this or not. Your delay circuit or multifunction switch may be different. But the motor will probably be wired the same. This should help you understand what should be going on electrically at the motor.

wiper

Last edited:

MCFetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks very much. The wiring is different as mine has the GEM. I would say the motors are wired very similar though. I really appreciate the help and will use your document and do some tracing on the hi speed side. Thanks again.

MCFetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
98 ranger wipers fixed

Good afternoon. I found an explorer setting in the neighbors field. He said I could take whatever I wanted off of it. I got the part that plugs into the wiper motor and about three feet of wire. I hooked the ground to one of the mounting bolts for the motor and ran the white & blue wires inside the cab and hooked them to two separate toggle switches. I put 12v on the other side of the switches and they work very well on high & low speed. I had to trade out the toggles with three posts for ones with two posts. The cigarette lighter had broke out of the radio trim a few years ago so I opened the hole and made a nice place to mount the switches. It works great. I don't have delay, but after so much time spent online & under the hood chasing the problem, I think this is a good fix. Hope I have explained it well enough. If anyone has any questions, let me know. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals