• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I be picky and only go for a 90' BII or settle for an 87-89?

SSSnakeCharmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Alright so I'm looking to buy a BII really soon and I'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not I should only buy a clean 90' or if I should settle for a clean 87'-89'. I'm leaning towards getting a 90' but a few things might change my mind.
1. Do all 90' BIIs come with the D35 instead of the D28?
2. Do all 90' manual BIIs have the M5OD or were some made with one of the other MT transmission models? How can you tell which one it has? Vin?
3. Do 90's only come with push button 4x4 or are there some with manually engaged 4x4? Do both variants have manual locking hubs? What is better push button or manual?
4. Is it worth it to wait for the perfect 90' or should I settle for an 87-89 and do the D35 and M5OD swap?
5. If at some point I decide to SAS swap and use a D44 will any of it even matter? Will the M5OD work with the D44 and SAS setup?
Sorry for the long wall of text. Help me out lol!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I wouldn't wait around if you find a nice one that is a little older. The axle swap is easy, and bolt on. You might even score a 95-97 axle with the better front brakes while looking for swap parts.

Few BIIs were ever built with the M5OD, most had an FM146, so you will be swapping that anyway.

Push button 4x4 seemed a bit more common on them than the manual, but it could come with either. I prefer the manual system because it's much easier and you know it's going to work.

SSSnakeCharmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thank you! I'll keep all of this in mind! One more thing, how do I figure out what transmission is in it? I read somewhere that M code is the M5OD but I'm not sure what M code is referring to? The vin? Or is there a sticker on the door with the trans code? Pics would help a lot.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

SSSnakeCharmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ok so if I see a B2 with an M code on the sticker it has the M5OD?

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't wait around either. Waiting for the perfect one is probably futile. If you find one with a nice clean body and frame I'd jump. The reality is if or when you start your build a lot of the stock parts will be swapped out for others anyway. While those heavier stock pieces are good there are even better options out there. Also with all the flack the stock drivetrain gets its not bad. If you keep the tires small and drive with some sense you would be amazed at what the little B2 can do and hold up reasonably well.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Build date after 11/89. It will have the M50D and D35. I had one. Still have the tranny and D35. I bought it without knowing. Good luck on finding one.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
88-up will have the newer dash/cluster versus the 83-87 metal dash. Other interior features will be different on the 88-up versus 87-down. I preferred the old dash.

typically, the 83-87 will also have the 1350 manual transfer case and not push button 4wd.

Find the cleanest shell regardless of year, the running gear is easily swapped and still available at the junkyards from multiple donor vehicles.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
What I've ran across lately is you either find one with a great body and interior but the drive train is shot, or you find one that's beat to crap but a good drive train...I guess you don't get both in the same vehicle LOL. If you happen to find one with both good drive train and good body, the price is high enough to make you run away. I've found a couple with both in great condition but the $7k+ asking price was completely outrageous.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
88-up will have the newer dash/cluster versus the 83-87 metal dash. ...
Find the cleanest shell regardless of year...
1st. So the B2 is different from the Ranger? Cause every '88 I've seen is the "old" style dash.

2nd. Yes. Clean is what you want. Especially if you're going to mod it anyway..

Edit: HOLY CARP! $7k for a B2? That's beyond insane. I can't even see any mods that would make that worthwhile..

Last edited:

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
7k!!!!
I have a B2 for sale then!! that would double what I have invested.
some folks are crazy, I ran across a few of those, dealers mainly trying to convince someone it was a collectable classic. Partially true but not quite there yet.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New style dash didn't happen until 89. 84 thru 88 had the same dash. Problem with a lot of the outrageous prices is the NADA value. While searching for my current 89, I checked quite a few really clean B2s with 6K plus price tags. Sellers said "thats NADA value." My response, sell it to NADA!

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my bad, you are correct 89-up is the interior with the plastic dash (BII and Ranger) no sure what I was thinking. BOTH my builds have been 1987 vehicles, with numerous items swapped in from later model rangers and explorers.

SSSnakeCharmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I wanted a really clean b2 but ran into the price wall. The really nice ones were all 5k+

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have to decide how bad you want one and what you can live with. Here in western Colorado, rust isn't a problem, but the sun burns the paint off, especially the clear coat. There are many decent running rust free examples that need paint. With 2 to 3,000 for a decent paint job, that $1,000 B2 turns into a $5,000 B2 real quick. I bought my 89 from the original owner in Oct. 2013. I found it in Salt Lake City, about 5 hours from my home. During my 8 month search I drove to Denver and all the way to Pocatello , ID trying to find the right one. I was ready to give up when I found my 89 on Craigslist. 140K miles, one owner, always garaged, original paint, 5 speed, a/c, every receipt since new including the window sticker. I paid $2,300. It needed tires, but just about everything I looked at needed tires. It took 8 months and over 2000 miles to find it. Keep looking, they are out there. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals