• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird engine problems

scoutbuff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I have a 88 BII with a 2.9L v6. this thing seems to have two problems. #1 would be a intermittent lifter/lifters ticking. This has gotten worse in the few months I've owned it. At first it sounded like one lifter that would tick for a few seconds up to a minute. Now it can be one or multiple. I took the valve cover off on the side that sounded the worst. Nothing loose. So I changed the oil and it got better for about two weeks. Now it's back again..... Need some ideas. this is a low mileage engine and shouldn't be running this bad.
Problem #2 is a weird sputter or loss of power after the engine starts to warm up. It runs ok cold, and ok all the way warmed up, but about half way warmed up it sputters and will hardly run. Changed the fuel filter. Checked the cap, rotor. wires. checked all connections to the coil, distributor. I'm at a loss. Maybe the control module or the coil? Don't know what to check? Any ideas would be great....Thanks:icon_confused:

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Transmission
Manual
possibly the thick film module on the distributor? sounds like you covered most everything else. Depending on the miles on your 2.9 the pushrods can wear out on the ends, was the oil cap moisture free? I have had an intake gasket leak a little water into the top end and I thought it was a cracked head but turned out I could have just tightened the very loose intake bolts and possibly solved new ticking issue I encountered? Glad I did top end gaskets though as motor has run great for over a year now w 214,000.

DocRoche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I researched this ( problem 2) a bit because Im prepared to have the same issue as soon as I get mine to not immediately die after starting. Many have mentioned the EGR valve being the cause of this. I'm not 100% sure it will fix the situation, but Ive seen it enough to at least be considered.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I researched this ( problem 2) a bit because Im prepared to have the same issue as soon as I get mine to not immediately die after starting. Many have mentioned the EGR valve being the cause of this. I'm not 100% sure it will fix the situation, but Ive seen it enough to at least be considered.
1987 was the last year for the EGR valve, so it won't be a problem for the OP.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals