• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

inertia switch elimination

cannonfodder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i off road my 95 ranger a lot and want to eliminate the inertia switch witch has given me some trouble recently. It has 3 wires What is the 3rd one for and what needs supplied to it to run. Thanks Cannon

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3rd wire runs to the computer(PCM), it will have 12volts when fuel pump relay is closed, it confirms to PCM that fuel pump is getting power.

You have a bad inertia switch if it "opens" from bouncing around.
Inertia switch is a ONE TIME ONLY switch, once it has been tripped it can not be fully "reset", it will just keep "opening" after that.
"Reset" button is there so vehicle can be moved from an accident scene, not for continued use

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Not trying to hijack here. However,

This is interesting Ron, I took an enertia switch from a parting out 91 ranger (I believe it to be a 2 wire ball bearing slider) and placed it into my 78 pinto that uses an electric pump 12 inches from the tank. The slider has a good resistance to make it disengage so i figured it will work fine to kill power in an emergency. Didn't think it is a one time only switch, also placing one into my 83 V8 build for the kill of the electric pump. same style, 2 wire ball slider.

any thoughts? thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ran into this before, friends have bought "rebuilt" or "salvaged" title vehicles and had issues with inertia switch, because it had been tripped in an accident and not replaced, new switch solved the problems.

Not sure why it is, maybe latch doesn't hold as well after reset or the ball/magnet setup doesn't hold as well, but I know it does happen.

If it holds then no problems but if you do have to reset it, even once, I would replace it at that time

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Cheers thanks for your valued input!!

Never had an issue with the switch, even hit a pot hole and it didn't trip so I guess all is good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals