• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 engine miss?

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.9 That overall runs very well. I have a problem where the engine will misfire(?), usually in 3rd or 4th gear while under heavy load (quick acceleration or towing). It will do it only once or twice, but consistently. Pulled codes and only getting a 31. Replaced EGR and EGR Position sensor and cleaned the Plenum real well. Replaced ALL gaskets. TPS is set correctly. IAC is good. O2 Sensor seems good. Still getting a 31 code. May have a bad connection in key ignition and have not completed a full tuneup (cap, wires, plugs, etc...). Fuel Pressure hangs right around 33 lbs. Fuel Filter was changed 5,000 miles ago. Can't find any vacuum leaks....Anybody have any ideas as to where I should go from here? Obviously I need to complete the tuneup......Thanks in advance...

brommel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Same issue here - 86 BII 5spd

Hi Spitfire-

I have the exact same code and issue as you. Heavy load misfire/stutter. I have replaced EGR, DPFE sensor, verified vacuum.. etc. It seems like I may have the same year BII as you as well. Just today I removed the vacuum line from the EGR and blocked it to rule it out as an issue. (No difference.) During engine speeds above 2500RPM the bronco runs well. anything below 2000 and it sounds like a big misfire and the engine feels unbalanced. One thing I know for sure is that my EGR AIR tube from EGR to exhaust manifold has some problems. I thought bypassing the EGR vacuum might makee differnce, but nope.

Let me know what else you have tried.

brommel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Brutally cold outside now!

I did a bunch of forum searching, and found others who had problems like this, but the problem posters never seem to post a resolution!?

The only thing that I have not replaced on my BII is the FPR, and I did not do that because I didn't see any failure (Gas in vacuum line..) I'm thinking of buying a vacuum gauge and testing it out, since it does feel like other engines I have had with vac. probs.

Someone out there must have the magic solution for this.

If not, I'll buy my third set of plugs and wires and see what that does.

:icon_surprised:

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have not had any real time to problem solve, but I can tell you that the FPR on my truck is relatively new. I am wondering if plugged cats or plugged (if even possible) charcoal canister could cause these issues. Seems common as all get out. My "miss" issues are all at 2500'ish rpm's. Idle is kinda rough. I was going to try and replace the computer (?) and see what that does as well. Keep in touch. Would be nice to solve this.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and by the way.....right now I am averaging just under 16 mpg's of mixed driving. Tune up will probably help this immensely....

Kyler-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 90 bronco II and I have the same problem you guys do. It has a slight miss at idle and it idles rough. I tried a different computer right at the beginning and it ran exactly the same. I've changed the tps, the cts, cleaned my iac, checked my pcv, replaced the O2 sensor, changed the rotor, plugs and wires. Then it has been getting worse and worse where it bogs down. above 2000rpm it runs pretty good. so I checked my fuel pressure today and its right up at 45 psi.
Hopefully we can get this all figured out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ive been having the same problem with my 89. so far ive ruled out any problems with the spark or fule. i had a buddy run a vacume guage on it the other day and he said it ran about 15 at idle then at WOT it would drop to about 9 and as soon as the throtle was relised ti would jump up to around 17 or so. (not sure what the measurement scale on vacume is? IE. Psi, inches of H2O, or inches of mercury)

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i actually just recently posted a similar thread to this on rps.

my 86 4x4 auto b2 misses twice, never once, never three times, exactly twice, whenever i run it flat out, then it loses some power.

brommel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Anyone know what the vacuum reading should be at? Idle, WOT, etc.. I'm suspicious of vacuum because when driving, the first brake pedal push always sinks almost to the floor, and then the next push is firm again.. Seems like low vacuuum might cause that..

shaysman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Manual
have you cecked the timing when i rebuilt the engine in my ranger it done that and i went back and turned the dristubitor just a little and it hasnt done it again. make sure its in time before you start buying any more parts.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am starting to think timing as well. Hopefully I can get that taken care of soon. Kinda busy with Christmas. I have also been wondering if maybe camshafts, etc... could cause this as they get older and worn down. Any ideas on how to best check O2 sensors? If I understand correctly the timing should be 8-10 degrees above 0 ?

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i messed with my timing today and she runs like a raped ape now. you should check the O2 sensors with an ociliscope (i think thats how its spelled) as it has a signal that goes from 0 to .5 volts 0volts indicating a lean burn and .5 volts indicating a rich burn. if it was a cam shaft it would be a graduial decrease in power. and yes timing "should" be 8-10 degrees befor TDC but if your like me and dont have a timing light i would turn the distributor counter clockwise and the engine idle should even out and the RPM should increase slightly.

slow29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
i have the same problem, but i know my solution my number 2 injector failed then i all i had to put in it was a 19lbs/hr from a 302, big mistake it gets fouled really quick, i set my timing at 12 degrees, advance the timing as much as you want until it starts pinging then bring it down, but 12 degrees is about the best.

StreetRat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Searching and searching. Finally an answer I can use! Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals