• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sudden Transmission issues!

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
I have a 2007 Ranger XLT 4.0L, 4wd, 5R55E Auto, 195k. The truck has been fine! I went to pick someone up and suddenly it felt like it missed second and slipped. I let off the gas and then started again and it was fine. I drove about 2 miles, picked up the person and went to back out and had no reverse! It was like it was in neutral. I put it back in park and tried again. Nothing! This time I put it down in 1st and the truck moved forward so I put in reverse and it worked. I started down the road and it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear! I dropped it down to 1st again and right into 2nd and she shifted. Then into D and it shifted OK. About 2 seconds later the OD/OFF light began blinking. Now I have searched this site, FTE and just Googled "Flashing OD/OFF light" and I'm just confused about what is wrong. I checked the VSS, turned the truck on and off a bunch of times trying to see if the blinking light is flashing a code (it's not), used my code reader (Actron) and got nothing, even used my MongoosePro cable to deep scan and run a datalog but there are no flags, codes, or anything. I hate to bring it to a shop blind so I thought I would ask here first to see if anyone had any suggestions. Does it sound like a solenoid or maybe the valvebody? I don't know if the filter and fluid has ever been changed! (I've only had it a short time now) Any help is appreciated!

I noticed in my searches, not a lot of people came back to post what was wrong or how they fixed their issue so, I plan to do just that, and maybe help someone else with the same issue!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you don't notice automatics until they make you notice them :)

Flashing OD light means computer has detected a problem, could be a blown fuse or speed sensor, could be open circuit in a solenoid, could be Range sensor.
But there should be code(s) in memory, not all scanners will pickup transmission codes

Check the fuses in diagram, long shot but easy to do as second thing
First thing, of course, is to check fluid level and condition

Automatics run on ATF Pressure, reverse requires the highest pressure, 150+ PSI.
If valve is stuck open or seals/gaskets leak then internal pressure drops, and since Reverse needs highest pressure it is usually the first issue noticed by drivers, slow engagement or no Reverse.

Attachments

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
So I decided to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter. However, I found little pieces of copper and half of a quarter sized, very thin, copper washer! No shiny silver metal, just the copper. What the heck could that be? I wish I could post pic of it!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Maybe Brass not copper, thrush washers perhaps, but not a good thing to see no matter what type of metal it is

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Maybe Brass not copper, thrush washers perhaps, but not a good thing to see no matter what type of metal it is
It sure looks like copper to me! It's orange in color, not yellow like brass is. I wish I could post pics of it! Are thrust washers that small?

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
OK, here are some of the pieces. They are probably brass but can you see how they look like copper? Is that a thrust washer?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check out the pinion washers on this page: http://www.sonnax.com/units/233-4r55e

A4LD, 4R44E(55E) and 5R44E(55E) are all basically the same transmission internally, mechanically that is
5R had 5th gear added via software, no internal change

Last edited:

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
If you blew one of those, looks like you'll need a tranny rebuild. That came from deep inside your geartrain.

Sorry :(

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Yep! I think that's it! Looking at the new one and judging by the way it has the cut-outs, the piece from my tranny looks the same. How the hell does that happen? I mean, I drove it to where it is sitting now with the only problem being it not shifting out of 1st unless I let off the throttle! That's freaking nuts! So, it looks like I will be pulling the transmission. I am not going to rebuild it though. I will just use the one out of my 2003 since I am replacing it when the V8 goes in. Not looking forward to pulling 2 tranny's and then installing 1. :sad: Especially without a lift!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It reads like you have done an automatic transmission install before.

But just a heads up if you haven't, the torque converter's rear shaft needs to be seated inside the transmission before transmission is bolted to the engine.
Failure to seat it all the way into the transmission will cause damage to the front pump drive and make the transmission unusable without a rebuild

I goofed up on this on my first automatic, expensive lesson learned, just passing it on

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
So we got the tranny out and swapped with the one from my 03. Took us three days! Soooooooo many nuts and bolts to get everything out of the way! Everything seemed to be fine but the damn "O/D OFF" light came back on and it was jerking a bit before shifting out of first! Checked the fluid and all the connections. This time I was able to pull a code: P0705 and P0708; Transmission Range Sensor Low Input and High Input. Thankfully I was able to find a good video on replacing one and just had to reset mine. Truck has been fine for a couple days now.

Thank you RonD for your input! We had to put a wrench on the front of the motor and turn it to get the splines to line up and get the tranny all the way in. I never took the converter out so no need to be sure it seated all the way.

Poreboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Starting new thread

I cannot for some reason find where to start a new thread having transmission problems and need help real bad can someone help me please i heard alot of good things about this site and need to know what to do

Poreboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Or guide me to where i can find problems with a transmission that has limited reverse and slipping in drive will drive from 1st then manual shift to 2nd gear then to drive but will not drive in drive it slips and slips in reverse. i have seen this issue before all over google but no answers can someone help me i have a 4.0 with auto tranny (overdrive ) 4WD

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Or guide me to where i can find problems with a transmission that has limited reverse and slipping in drive will drive from 1st then manual shift to 2nd gear then to drive but will not drive in drive it slips and slips in reverse. i have seen this issue before all over google but no answers can someone help me i have a 4.0 with auto tranny (overdrive ) 4WD
Welcome to TRS :)

You are in the right forum sub-category: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Click on that link
Above all the posts on the Left is "New Thread"
Click in it

And you will be starting your own thread for help

Include that it is a 1998 Ranger 4.0l 4WD in that post

ALL automatics from ANY maker run on FLUID PRESSURE
Reverse requires the highest pressure, 150+ PSI, so when there is an internal pressure issue reverse is where you will notice it first.
This is why loss, or slow engagement, of Reverse is so common on ALL automatics

From your description you are losing pressure internally, and its enough to now effect forward gears, slipping means the bands and clutches are not holding, these require pressure as well

1998 4.0l can have a 4-speed or 5-speed automatic, on the drivers door there is a label
At the bottom of the label you will see TRANS, under it will be a Letter, T is a 4-speed, D is a 5-speed

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals