• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stock ECU turbo tune (Help needed)

cja21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Before I start, yes I know I'm doing something stupid that'll probably kill my engine, but I'm okay with that.

So, I'm doing a cheap turbo build on my 2000 Ranger 3.0 Flex, and need to figure out a tuning situation. I'm using the factory EEC-V ECU in the Ranger, and have read of quite a few 3.0 flex owners getting away with less than or equal to 5 lbs./boost without issue, which is what I planned to do. I've also read of upgraded MAFs also withstanding the challenge of them. I know the MAF can't detect boost per se, but I figure with a good tune, throttle position and live AFR could be adjusted to account for boost.

Now I know this is a bad idea, and I know I'm going to shorten the life or even grenade the motor, that's fine with me, I've been planning a 5.0 swap for next summer and only bought parts I know I can safely swap between the two engines, save for flanges and the like.

So my question is, Is there anyone in the Northeast, in or around Massachusetts who could tune/introduce me to a tuner who can tune my Ranger when it's running? I'm not going to have it on the road for at least another couple weeks, maybe a month, but I wanted to plan ahead and get some feedback from the forum. Thanks gang!

cja21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, so I've been doing more research, I like the Quarterhorse chip for my ECU and it seems feasible and reasonable to install. I've read up on the TwEECer too, and I like that but it seems pricey. I've read that with some of these, I can go in and mess around with emissions settings.

Has anyone used either ECU setup and tuned it that can recommend one over another or weigh pros/cons? Also, could I screw with the ECU settings to make the tune accept everything as "street legal" and "passing emissions"? (MA law says that light-duty vehicles before 2004 don't have to pass a tailpipe sniff test, but do have to pass OBDII if they have it.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals