• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaking anti freeze

mb128

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
my truck is leaking anti freeze from somewhere and i cant find where i checked the water pump and it looks fine my anti freeze level is fine. the hoses look fine where could it be leaking from?

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Could be a blown head gasket

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
crank your truck and look in your coolant reservoir, if there are bubbles in that or when you open your radiator cap (do this while the engine is cold!!!) then you may have a cracked head/blown head gasket. the other way to tell is if you have white smoke in your exhaust.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't understand

my truck is leaking anti freeze from somewhere and i cant find where i checked the water pump and it looks fine my anti freeze level is fine. the hoses look fine where could it be leaking from?
Your post says "leaking" but it also says the level is fine.. Which is it? Is there coolant on the ground?
Have you taken the cap off of the radiator to see if it is FULL or not?
Give a few more facts to help the guys trouble shoot for you.
Big JIm:icon_confused:

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
if your coolant is disappearing, its your head gasket-s.
if its in your oil, head gasket or timing chain cover bolts.
if its on the ground, check hoses, water pump, freze plugs.
if its in the truck, its your heater core.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My radiator had a small seam leak it took a while to find.:icon_confused: It was leaking enough it dripped down on my bottom hose and I thought it was the hose so I replaced it to find out it that wasn't it.:annoyed: So I'm looking for a new radiator.:shok:

mb128

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
its dripping not a lot. yes my radiator is full. i have checked a few times. i dont have white smoke coming out my exhaust. im starting to think maybe its a cracked hose coming from the reservoir? its not a fast leak at all. i have no clue exactly where its coming from.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a lot better

its dripping not a lot. yes my radiator is full. i have checked a few times. i dont have white smoke coming out my exhaust. im starting to think maybe its a cracked hose coming from the reservoir? its not a fast leak at all. i have no clue exactly where its coming from.
So now we know not to consider a a whole bunch of possibilities.. If you can sometimes SEE the coolant then why in the hell are you on here asking questions? Go outside and FIND THE LEAK! The damn thing is inside a three foot area.. WE can't get over there to look FOR YOU! Crawl your ass under the truck WITH a flashlight and FIND THE LEAK!
Big JIm :wub::hottubfun:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
So now we know not to consider a a whole bunch of possibilities.. If you can sometimes SEE the coolant then why in the hell are you on here asking questions? Go outside and FIND THE LEAK! The damn thing is inside a three foot area.. WE can't get over there to look FOR YOU! Crawl your ass under the truck WITH a flashlight and FIND THE LEAK!
Big JIm :wub::hottubfun:
Big Jim M = military grade motivational speaker

no offense u just sounded like my retired army sargeant first class father.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Big Jim M = military grade motivational speaker

no offense u just sounded like my retired army sargeant first class father.
No offense taken.. Your Dad and I would prolly get along fine..
Big JIm:icon_thumby:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
well it could be that your radiator cap is bad...that's what mine is, the cap doesnt hold pressur letting the water in the coolant evaporate and make the level of the coolant go down

mb128

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have gotten under it even above it and i CANT find where its coming from. thats why im asking where to look. how would i tell if it is my cap?

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
well mine is visually bad, rusty and...but I couldnt tell you anything else, made do a pressure test?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
autozoo has a radiator cooling system pressure tester that also has the radiator cap adaptor. the cap is rated 15psi if im not mistaken, look at the cap it tells you. install the cap onto the adapter and pump it up, if it pops at 15 psi your ok. if it pops before its not sealing properly, if it pops after that can cause an overheating problem/raised engine operating temperature. if it checks out attach it to your radiator and pump her up, youll be able to blow out any hoses that could be leaking or see where water is pissing from a pinhole in a line. you can also look for busted water pump seams as well. if it doesnt pump up pull your spark plugs and see which cylinder has water squirting into it as this will indicate a blown head gasket or cracked head. if it doesnt build pressure then look in your dipstick and see if theres water in their (chocolate milk consistency oil meaning cracked block. if you actually build pressure in the system up to 16-17psi max and it holds for 15 mins (doesnt bleed down any) you do not have a leak in the system. easy enuff?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
No offense taken.. Your Dad and I would prolly get along fine..
Big JIm:icon_thumby:
Im sure we could see eye to eye as well. needless to say ive had the "i cant wipe your ass forever" speech when i was 4 hilling potatoes at 6 and was push mowing the yard at 9 and so on. just glad to see there are others out there that have the balls to say "get off your ass and do it yourself."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals