• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 tlc

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
Im guessing because of the taller deck heights of the V8s/I6s and the 3.0 being slated for low hooded tauruses it was pry for clearence issues.

Good to hear your 2.9 runs good. I take flack for it all the time but ive always felt the 2.9 even in stock form could hold its own against even the "mighty" 4.0. I guess to me the 4.0 was always kinda dissapointing considering its displacement advantage over the 2.9. For being 1.1L bigger i always thought it shoulda been wayyy ahead of the 2.9, and to some it is, but ive never really seen it. A 2.9/5sp its a tough little combo to beat, and wayyy above the crap it was competeing against (2.8 GM, Nissans 3.0 and yotas V6 of that time), replacing it with the 3.0 really was a step backwards.

Ive driven a few 3.0/5sp trucks, and just letting up the clutch and stabbing the throttle from an idle roll doesnt give that "snap" the 2.9 does. I never drove a OHV 4.0 with a 5sp, but the auto ones, while admittingly stronger then the 2.9/autos, just were kinda, meh.
The 2.9 auto I test drove was a dog, had trouble making it to 55 and then the steering was so loose and the boards under the coils didn't help so I immediately took it back to the owner after 1/2 mile. I might bet beat on 0-60, but my needle doesn't slow down after 45 now. Consistent speed increase up until 70.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The 2.9 auto I test drove was a dog, had trouble making it to 55 and then the steering was so loose and the boards under the coils didn't help so I immediately took it back to the owner after 1/2 mile. I might bet beat on 0-60, but my needle doesn't slow down after 45 now. Consistent speed increase up until 70.

I remember back in the day around here it seemed most guys who said the 2.9 was a pooch had autos, the guys with manuals thought they did pretty good.

From my own findings ill say the 2.9 can be blah, or yeahhhh! by whats shifting gears more then any engine ive ever screwed with

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
She played hard for about 3000 miles. Now it sounds like a cam bearing is going. Was a good run with the 2.9. Whoever said you can't make decent power with one. They are wrong.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Good to hear your 2.9 runs good. I take flack for it all the time but ive always felt the 2.9 even in stock form could hold its own against even the "mighty" 4.0. I guess to me the 4.0 was always kinda dissapointing considering its displacement advantage over the 2.9. For being 1.1L bigger i always thought it shoulda been wayyy ahead of the 2.9, and to some it is, but ive never really seen it. A 2.9/5sp its a tough little combo to beat, and wayyy above the crap it was competeing against (2.8 GM, Nissans 3.0 and yotas V6 of that time), replacing it with the 3.0 really was a step backwards.
My 2.9 never failed to do something I asked of it. The big thing I noticed when I did the 4.0 swap was the torque difference. At the time I would haul of scrap loads about once a month. I'd have two 55G drums full of oil fiters and then a few hundred lbs of iron/steel as well. The road to the yard was kinda twisty, and I would constantly be hunting between 2nd and 3rd with the 2.9 on those turns and hills. With the 4.0 I could just leave it in 3rd and go.

BrutalPanda

Reaction score
I towed a 2500 Chevy 6.5 diesel ext cab a little ways. Not much problem even with a bad clutch, the 2.9 is a sweet little motor. But the reliability I'm looking for is a 302. Appreciate the help from you few who've been on this forum for years. I should've listened to the 10 people here and in perspective who said v8 swap it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals