• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo Help

rangerman3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey yall Im wanting to get a turbo. I dont need the full kit with pipes, fans, intercoolers, etc. JUST THE TURBO.

I need to know what size turbo and what kind will give me the best results and possibly the price.

Any help would be appreciated.

:icon_thumby:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Depends on a lot of factors. I'd probably start with an HX35 with a 12cm turbine housing.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hahns is right. There are tons of factors to consider here. What do you do with the truck, and what are your goals for the turbo? A lifted, offroad truck will have different needs than a street truck. How much power are you looking to make?

rangerman3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I never thought about the lifting factor. I do plan on putting a lift on my truck in the future.

Im not looking to get a 1000hp from the turbo I just want something with a little extra kick to it. Something more than just a performance programmer although I do plan on getting one of those soon.lol

I have been looking at those T3 T4 aftermarket turbos I noticed alot of people get those. I watched a few of those youtube videos of guys putting those on there rangers.

I guess the question to be asking is what are my essential needs for the turbo to run at its best?

:icon_thumby:

theycallme1016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The best advice you will get from anyone is DON'T BE CHEAP take your time with it and go name brand its expensive for a reason, I learned this lesson with my drift car. Do it right the first time and you wont do it over and over again or kill an engine. Personally my preference for turbos is Garrett you cant go wrong with them. Also ALWAYS order from the company factory warranties are your friend.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A lot of this depends on how much boost you want to make. Higher boost means more power, but will require more changes. 4 lbs of boost might give you 40 or 50hp, and would require bigger injectors and a tune. Why do all the work of custom fabbing a turbo setup for just 50 hp though? You can run boost in the mid teens pretty safely on the stock bottom end, but to get there you'd need a larger maf, new fuel pump plus some gauges to keep an eye on things. Minimum. That's not including any of the turbo hardware or things like the intercooler, BOV, etc.

Last edited:

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I heard that the 3.0 couldn't handle more than like 7 or so pounds before stuff started letting go

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I heard that the 3.0 couldn't handle more than like 7 or so pounds before stuff started letting go
The whipple supercharger kits that Ford Racing helped design, and carried a full Ford warranty, ran 10lbs of boost without any problems. Ask yourself why Ford would design and warranty something that would damage the engine it was designed for. There's a member here named JP02xlt, and he has a whipple supercharged 3.0 with lots of other engine mods that he runs with boost in the upper teens. No issues whatsoever. The 3.0 is a pretty robust engine. That's a big part of why it's so durable. As long as the bottom end of the motor is healthy, they can take quite a bit of boost. If you're going big in the boost though (mid teens), some decent head gaskets and head studs aren't a bad idea, and a good tune is a must.

Last edited:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Some guy who tears a turbo off of a junkyard car and rigs it to feed into their 3.0 at 7psi could very well end up walking home. His neighbor invests in a quality turbo and turbo-management parts(BOV, Intercooler, injectors, ect...) along with a day or so at a reputable dyno shop drives past his buddies blown up junkyard built ranger at 15psi. Turns around and does it again.

I think you get the moral of the story! lol

Depending on your power increase, you may need to budget for more than just engine mods to support the extra power. The 2.3 and 3.0 manual trans M5OD use a slightly weaker gearset than the 4.0Ls (swap the gearsets in your current case). And if you have an auto then the 4R44E should be swapped for a 4R55E from a 4.0L and the 7.5" axle might need some attention if you run more power and bigger tires.

theycallme1016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i agree with most of everything on here but my personal opinion is not to go over 5psi unless your doing work to the engine, you may be able to get up to 10psi stock like stmitch says but remember this you wont have that ford warranty. anyway i would deff get a head gasket regardless and deff do your research on where you go to get it tuned...after my buddy supercharged one of his cars we went to a shop that we thought was good, yeh he went through three engines in one year before going back to stock. that same shop screwed me over on my supra...so make sure that the shop is good and that no one has ever had a bad experience there.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's fine to be conservative. Especially in the beginning, but I don't see the purpose of spending thousands of dollars, and doing tons of work on a custom fabbed turbo setup just to gain the 30-50hp that 5 psi might net you. There are way cheaper ways to get an additional 30-50hp. If you're going to spend all that time and energy on boost, might as well design it to handle lots of boost, so you get decent gains for your efforts.
We are getting ahead of ourselves though. The first thing to do is make sure the bottom end of the motor is in decent enough shape to handle any boost. Then you can decide what extent you want to build this thing. Then you can start saving funds (that's the hardest part).

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I wish I could find one of those whipple supercharger kits

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
I just gOt a 93' ranger with a 3.0L and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Is a turbo 3.0L a realistic build? The truck was free so I'm not afraid to invest a couple thousand into the project.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals