• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

idle problems

boosted2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a '95 ranger with a 4.0 and a 5spd. It has 114 K miles on it. I have been fighting problems for a few months. It started with a bad TPS, and a new tps fixed it then it would run great till I made a short stop and would not start after. I got a 556 code- fuel pump relay circuit failure. I replaced the relay after verifying by swapping the AC WOT relay in place of the FP relay. From the day I replaced the TPS it has idled high. It was a 900 when I got it and stayed that way for 10K miles. After the tps was replaced it idles at 1000, and it hangs prior to that. If I shift at 2500 it will hang there for about 45 seconds or so and then kind of settles down slowly to 1000 again. I disconnected the throttle cable and it still hangs. No matter if it is warmed up or not when I first start it it idles at 1500 for a minute or so before settling down. The other day I was driving about 55 and it kind of shuddered and the check engine light came on and stayed that way till I got it home. I had to keep the rpms up around 2000 or it didn't want to run. The exhaust sounded like it was cammed up and was very rich. After getting it home I checked the codes and got the fuel pump relay circuit failure and cannister purge solenoid codes. I can't remember if I cleared the codes the last time so after sitting for a day and a half due to rain I disconnected the battery and then started it up and it runs good except for the high idle problem. I'm a mechanic, but I've been disabled and don't know much about this system. I was a mechanic for GM. I don't know if I have two separate problems or if they are tied together. The high idle does not trip a light so there are no codes. I've checked it for vacuum leaks, I cleaned the IAC. The throttle body has some play in the bellcrank but it was that way when I got it. I cleaned the mass air sensor with the cleaner for that. It has had a K/N since I've had it and I cleaned and reoiled that. I'm at the end of my rope. I hate to go far with it for fear of getting stuck. It has a rust free body which in WV is very rare, but it came from georgia, so it is worth fixing. I hope someone on here has had a similar problem. Thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals