• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission or other?

Jroam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First of all, this is on a Ranger 1999 3L v6.
Yesterday I was driving all day on pretty tame dirt roads a bit of 4x4ing nothing crazy, but all the sudden by the end of the day, when i put the truck in Drive, I would take up to 3 seconds to get into gear, then when I pressed the accelerator a horrible metallic screeching /grinding occured with lotsa shaking and the truck not really wanting to go forward. I tried switching through the gears and it seemed to be doing the same thing. I then proceed to put it in 4H, put it in D, same thing, test the other gears, not any better. Then I switched it to 4L, then no crazy sound and thuds or anything. So, I limped it home in 4L, not ideal but better than getting stranded.
Reverse gear worked in all gears without issues. Transmission fluid looked normal, levels seem all good as well.

Where should I start looking?
transmission? transfer case? Driveshaft?

I'm semi-fluent in fixing my own vehicles, but i never ran into transmission issues before, it would be great if someone can tell me where to start looking.

Thanks

PS: I gonna try to record the sound it makes, even though I'm pretty reluctant to , because it sounds horrible like something may be really f@cked :icon_confused:

FloridaGrown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Do what he did. Put the rear end on Jack stands and see where the noise is coming from. Cycle through your gears and pinpoint. It's probably your transfer case seeming how the problems are about identical.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe. Go through the same steps he did in that thread; checking brakes, bearings, and then supported running (don't get under the truck in drive).

Also, check transfer case oil. The 3-second delay really makes me suspect it's the transmission itself; everything else should work or fail immediately.

Jroam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
transfer case oil was good.
the shift motor was working,

that's how far i got on this today.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
where are you located? I actually have an auto and trans case from a 2000 with a 3.0

Jroam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
too far man!
I'm in Vancouver BC

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
I tried lol

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Yeah the 3 second thing seems transmission relAted have you tried adding oil to the tranny? And put the truck in park and 2wd and 4lo and see if the driveshaft spins any different if there's more movement in 2wd put the truck in neutral and see if it feels the same. If it does I'd definitely suspect transfer case

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals