• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil pan gasket

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I would very much like to have a leak free oil pan. I've always installed felpro gaskets and added just a bit of rtv at the four corners and of course within a short period of time I have a leaking oil pan. the Felpro intructions say to intall DRY. Should I just do that and not worry about any rtv at the front and rear mains?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
if you're sure its the oil pan and you didn't do it how i told you in the last thread all i can say is i told you so. cork gaskets suck

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you're sure its the oil pan and you didn't do it how i told you in the last thread all i can say is i told you so. cork gaskets suck
this is a rubber gasket that I will be using. I sort of feel that it was because I used rtv with the last rubber gaset I used. The Felpro reads that it should be installed dry.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
this is a rubber gasket that I will be using. I sort of feel that it was because I used rtv with the last rubber gaset I used. The Felpro reads that it should be installed dry.
hmm you said there were no rubber gaskets available.

you have to scrape the mating surfaces clean and wipe them down. i still coat the block with rtv when using rubber gaskets. then put a dab of rtv on the bolts and tighten them down evenly

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hmm you said there were no rubber gaskets available.

you have to scrape the mating surfaces clean and wipe them down. i still coat the block with rtv when using rubber gaskets. then put a dab of rtv on the bolts and tighten them down evenly
so just forget about the felpro intructions of installing dry? I have used a rubber oil pan gasket every time and it has always started leaking within a short time. Never once have I just installed the gasket dry that's why I was wondering if maybe I should. Am I the only one who cannot get an oil pan to stay leak free on the 2.9?:D Is there a better gasket to use other than felpro?

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
so just forget about the felpro intructions of installing dry? I have used a rubber oil pan gasket every time and it has always started leaking within a short time. Never once have I just installed the gasket dry that's why I was wondering if maybe I should. Am I the only one who cannot get an oil pan to stay leak free on the 2.9?:D Is there a better gasket to use other than felpro?
i've had good look with fel-pro blue if thats what you're already using.

i've never had any gasket last long when installing dry

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i've had good look with fel-pro blue if thats what you're already using.

I only wish there was a felpro blue oil pan gaskett for the 2.9 liter

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My gasket didn't leak for the 5 years I had the engine in the truck, installed dry; only RTVed where the surface was split (ex timing cover). But I don't see why it would leak w/ sealant either. Especially considering the additional metal rails along the pan bolts, think that thing would seal in most circumstances. I suppose a good question is where is it leaking from exactly?

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My gasket didn't leak for the 5 years I had the engine in the truck, installed dry; only RTVed where the surface was split (ex timing cover). But I don't see why it would leak w/ sealant either. Especially considering the additional metal rails along the pan bolts, think that thing would seal in most circumstances. I suppose a good question is where is it leaking from exactly?
did you used the Fel-Pro gasket Pete?

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pete, are you saying "not" to put any RTV on the split of the timing cover?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Here's something no one has examined yet.

Are you sure the pan itself isn't the issue? I had problems with one of my valve covers leaking after gasket replacements too. My dad (who did the last set on it) had over-tightened and warped the cover making it not seal right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals