• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

List of B2 Options that never made it to production and some that did.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is a rumor list.

1. Pop out Side windows-There is doccumentation that says there were. Owners manual discusses how to remove and store them.

2. Rear bucket seats-There are reports that they are out there. No pictures to back it.

3. 4.0L B2 in late 1990-No proof that they exist. If Ford made Prototypes then they would never have been sold, and likey to have been dismantled. 1991 was the intro of the Explorer. Someone that started the rumor likley saw an Explorer Sport 2 door and thought it was a new B2.

4. 8.8 rear axle.- Rumor and no proof of existance.

5. D35 front axle-*Confirmed*. Nearly all 1990 models will have a D35 axle. 3.73 ratio is a guarantee.

6. M5OD 5 speed trans.-*Confirmed* Most if not all 1990 models will have this as a manual trans. 1989 saw the last of the FM146's.

7. Real 2wd trans without dummy case in 2wd models-Yes and no. later model ones are rumored to have a ranger 2wd trans. AllanD would be able to confirm this. (I do confirm this AllanD)

All I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maurice and I looked at a '90 2wd Bronco II that had a true 2wd transmission in it from the factory. I was going to buy it until we saw that; if I got a 2wd, I wanted to be able to easily convert to 4wd.

Rear buckets would be NICE!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
3. 4.0L B2 in late 1990-No proof that they exist. If Ford made Prototypes then they would never have been sold, and likey to have been dismantled. 1991 was the intro of the Explorer. Someone that started the rumor likley saw an Explorer Sport 2 door and thought it was a new B2.

In my 1990 BII User Manual, it references the 4.0 as an 'Optional' motor...I don't think they exist tho...

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In my 1990 BII User Manual, it references the 4.0 as an 'Optional' motor...I don't think they exist tho...
A lot of the information for the engine section in the Owner's manual is shared with the engine section in the Ranger's Owner's manual.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
A lot of the information for the engine section in the Owner's manual is shared with the engine section in the Ranger's Owner's manual.
Yeah, I guess that makes sense...but it's still in the BII manual, someone must have screwed up.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you thought engineers were bad, the guys that put the owners manuals together know less of the vehicle than a 2 year old would.

The engine chapter was likely borrowed from the ranger manual. The haynes manual shows a 4.0L ranger/bII engine electrical schematic, but we all know it's for the Ranger.

FWIW if you can find a 1990 4.0L in a Ranger the 4.0L swap into a 1990 B2 will be a True Plug and Play. A 1991 4.oL is close but there are a couple of plugs they swapped around.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you are referring to the little picture up top, I believe that is a BroncoII Plus. Interestingly enough though, if you look closely at the 1984 Bronco II Ad you can see the latches on the rear windows
Haha that's funny as that is the other page to the brochure. I never noticed it there. They are the same B2. So in reality One "Did" exist at one time.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thats why i posted it! lol

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
haha, you never know!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you thought engineers were bad, the guys that put the owners manuals together know less of the vehicle than a 2 year old would.

The engine chapter was likely borrowed from the ranger manual. The haynes manual shows a 4.0L ranger/bII engine electrical schematic, but we all know it's for the Ranger.

FWIW if you can find a 1990 4.0L in a Ranger the 4.0L swap into a 1990 B2 will be a True Plug and Play. A 1991 4.oL is close but there are a couple of plugs they swapped around.
I have a 1990 4.0 Ranger and two '90 BII's....I had a thread earlier trying to decide what to do with them....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals