• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What Explorer Seats for Ranger

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Supercab Rangers and Explorers share the same seat track pattern IIRC. Regular cabs need you to do modifications.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i think the confusion about mounting has to do with the two areas these are patterned.

theres the actual brackets that bolt to the floorpan.

but those brackets are held to the seat base by 4 bolts generally, with many seats its actually a standard pattern, the size and name slips my mind but there is an actual terminology for some seat patterns.

then theres actually two tracks on many seats to add to the confusion further with b2, exp, and ex cab for sliding the seat forward for entry/egress.

Dofter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I really wish you guys could post pics :p

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For what its worth, i put Pontiac Grand Am seats in my ranger. I had to redrill the back mounting holes on the seats themselves. And before any one asks, i put them in because they are way more comfortable than ranger seats and they were free.

Dofter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
OK, I guess I'll be the first to post any pics :p
I went to the JY today and found some nice Mountaineer seats.
I brought them home and found out that a seat from a late '90's Mountaineer does not fit directly into a '91 Ranger. So I looked around under the seats and found four of these bolts holding the seat to the slider brackets:

I only took pics of two because I guess I was a lazy-ass.
Anyway, I unbolted those on the "M" seats and my Ranger seats. I tossed the M brackets and lined up the Ranger bracket, the holes matched up!:yahoo: I guess if the seats are from a RBV then you need not worry about bolt holes. The only "fabrication" needed was to tap a pre-drilled hole for the bolts to go through. (I should have took pics of that, but...) They then fit perfectly into my '91 xcab!:D
(yes that is camo duct tape on the seat belt clipper thing, it was falling apart)

Now I just need to go back to the JY and pick up that center console :p

02SuperXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up a cheap pair of buckets that are not from a ranger, but the guy had them bolted in his 96 ranger. I will be installing them tomorrow because I need my old ones tossed.
I will be measuring and trying to work something out with power leather Escape seats(heated) sometime this summer.... I will keep you posted.

TheMainer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Those seatbelt track mentioned earlier...

So I'm putting 02 explorer sport seats in my 98 ext cab, the seats bolt up but the ranger seat belts and explorer seat belts mount differently. The ranger buckles just bolt right to the seat pan itself, but the explorer buckles have a ratcheting track that bolts to the seat and the floor. I can't see any easy or safe seeming way to make a bracket for attaching the buckle to the explorer seat, so I opted to use the explorer buckle tracks, but the floor is not shaped right, I'm thinking of using some 2" angle iron to make a bracket that bolts flat to the floor to attach the track to, but the gas tank is right under that area (right in front of the rear jumpseat seatbelt bolts), anyone had this issue or mounted the buckle tracks in the rangers? or did everyone make brackets to bolt the buckles to the seats or something? I looked at swapping seat tracks it looks like a huge, huge pain in the ass....

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
So I'm putting 02 explorer sport seats in my 98 ext cab, the seats bolt up but the ranger seat belts and explorer seat belts mount differently. The ranger buckles just bolt right to the seat pan itself, but the explorer buckles have a ratcheting track that bolts to the seat and the floor. I can't see any easy or safe seeming way to make a bracket for attaching the buckle to the explorer seat, so I opted to use the explorer buckle tracks, but the floor is not shaped right, I'm thinking of using some 2" angle iron to make a bracket that bolts flat to the floor to attach the track to, but the gas tank is right under that area (right in front of the rear jumpseat seatbelt bolts), anyone had this issue or mounted the buckle tracks in the rangers? or did everyone make brackets to bolt the buckles to the seats or something? I looked at swapping seat tracks it looks like a huge, huge pain in the ass....
I ran into this exact issue last night with a set of 2002 Sport Trac seats. There is no readily apparent way to bolt the STrac's slider to the body of the Ranger since the floor pan is different, and also no obvious way to attach the Ranger buckle to the STrac seat. I'll try to post pictures later to demonstrate the different pieces. If anybody has come up with a simple and effective solution, I'd love to see it before reinventing the wheel.

killer02gt

Reaction score
Do you have a regular cab or a super cab Ranger because I have a 98 supercab and I want to swap out the seats for something newer Maybe 2003 Plus maybe even up to 2010 or 2011 if possible

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals