• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big Orange Bug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an electrical disconnect that I turn on, Turn on the coil, then kick on the starter (the switch has teh red warning cover and everything). haha. It's not as simple as turning a key, but I like it. haha. you mentioned an adjustment screw? do you know where it is? my steering is rather loose as well. The circle is actually the gas pedal. It's apparently popular for bajas. It was on it when I got it and I just left it. haha

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pretty sexy starter switch protocol. Ain't no thief gonna figure that out!
haha. that's the goal. thanks for the links. I'm also replacing the tie rod ends because the joints are done so that should tighten things up too.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
A bit late finding this thread, your Baja bug looks great, awesome work. Really liked the old Bugs, wouldn't mind owning one.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder if any kids these days know how to push-start a car? Um, do you? Handy skill, that. A crafty thief could get away with your beast.

Long ago, we parked on little hills to help us push start it downhill when the bug's starter motor broke. My sweetie's leg still shows the bite of a rusty running board while she tried to hop in during a push-start.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A bit late finding this thread, your Baja bug looks great, awesome work. Really liked the old Bugs, wouldn't mind owning one.
Thanks. It's been a lot of fun thus far.

I wonder if any kids these days know how to push-start a car? Um, do you? Handy skill, that. A crafty thief could get away with your beast.

Long ago, we parked on little hills to help us push start it downhill when the bug's starter motor broke. My sweetie's leg still shows the bite of a rusty running board while she tried to hop in during a push-start.
I think it's mandatory knowledge when owning a bug. I've push started it twice. haha. I don't think a thief could get it that way. They would need to route power to the coil first. I have yet another switch for that. haha

speaking of switches, I moved the main disconnect to the center console. It was on the back seat kick panel and I was always afraid that someone would accidentally kick it off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey all,

It's been a little while since of worked on the bug. I've replaced the tie rods and ends so it needs an alignment now. The big new is that I scored a vintage VW Hurst shifter on Craigslist for $45! :yahoo: I never thought I'd find one for a good price. That or an old EMPI super shifter. It was missing the knob and the threads were torn up from set screw from an aftermarket knob. It was also missing it's reverse lock out plate (which happens a lot). So I called hurst and they referred me to Speed Dawgs and I ordered a new knob. I also re-cut the thread and made a lock out plate out of two stock VW lock out plates. I then polished it and installed it. It works perfectly and is much tighter and has the shorter throws that I wanted. in all, only $70 put into it. Not bad for a Hurst. Here are the pics. I can't wait to take it out onto the streets once it warms up and all this snow and ice is gone. :icon_hornsup:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Why not boost it? Now that would be fun!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've thought of turbo-ing it. The engine is actually built to handle it. the big problem is cost. I might do it down the road though.

So I'm doing some final wiring work before spring so I can jump straight into cruising. I fixed a wiring bug with my headlights (only one would come on and the turn signal) and I finally have working windshield wipers!!! :headbang:

http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jschig/media/IMG_0758_zpsc3707e98.mp4.html?filters[user]=119818844&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I've also ordered s radio and stereo parts which should be here tomorrow so I'll start work on that tomorrow as well. It should be all back together and driving this weekend! I can't wait to scoot around in the warmer weather. :3gears:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hey all, just a quick update. I got the radio and speakers installed and it sounds great. I also solved a problem with my seats. There is no foam left on them and the leather is ripped. I really need to reupholster them but I'm not going to do that for a while because that's going to cost ~ $650. My interm solution? Cut out memory foam mattress toppers to fit the seats and glue the pieces on! It works perfectly. It's like sitting on a cloud as opposed to being stabbed with the springs. I also added some orange to the back of the interior to break up all the black.

At the local Cars n Coffee today:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals