• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

backfire

old man b2 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i have worked on my 89 2.9 for 6 months, now i am calling the big guns, lost a head gasket filled the pan with water, ran it for a day about 50 miles, it ran good, now it idles great but has no power and back fires threw the intake during accelration, checked timing compression new plugs wires dist cap, anything anyone has because i am ready to give up

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Need a lot more info. There is a lot missing between blowing head gasket and backfires.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Spark timing needs to be set at 10-12deg BTDC with SPOUT connector removed, this stops computer from advancing spark during base spark timing.

recheck firing order, I know you have checked it 2 or 3 times, but one more time won't hurt and it is free.
And follow each wire to its spark plug, 1 and 2 and 4 and 5 are easy to reverse.

old man b2 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
will go check wires again, is it possible i took the cam out with the watered down oil , it dose run exactly like a wire in the wrong place, i put new wires on it but have bought bad ones before, thanks will be back on friday i did set the timing at 10 with spout disconected

Last edited:

mic98xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I chased a no start, sometime start and run, plus an loss of spark and engine shutoff after only 30 minutes run period on my '87 B2 2.9l for quite some time. I tried a variety of shotgun remedies such as new wires, spark plugs, rotor and distributor cap, 2 TFI's and remote mounting the TFI's to eliminate a possible heat related issue along with checking and rewiring the engine harness (solder and clean connections). It sometimes seemed like it was a timing issue also by the way it ran.
The final remedy was replacing the distributor itself as being the real culprit. Somehow after running for a short time the inside magnetic vane would somehow spin out of tune or timing and not produce the proper wavelength to support the TFI ignition system. Maybe this is not your issue but it was something I never imagined with the internal electronics of the distributor going wacky inside the distributor.

old man b2 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
my son has his bronco hear i will go grab his dist. an give it a try. at this point i will try any thing, going to buy another new set of plug wires today an try that also, i miss my b2

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Back firing is either firing order mistakes or if only on acceleration a lean fuel mix or improper computer spark timing advance/retard.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check for slop in the timing chain? Pull the distributor cap and put a wrench on the crank and turn the crank clockwise to TDC marks line up then watch the rotor on the distributor and turn the crank counterclockwise until the rotor begins to move. Any more than a few degrees and you need to replace the chain and sprockets. I recommend replacing the water pump while you have it apart, unless its new!

Last edited:

old man b2 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thank you all very much, used all of your stuff but problem is still there, pushing it out back and let the black berries grow over it, done.

old man b2 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i didnt let the berries get it , studied all answers but RonD and the lean fuel got it, exhaust temp on 3 and 5 at and idle were up and down all other ones stayed the same, so went with a new set of injectors at fixed the problem I think what happened was i broke my arm and the motor was apart for a couple of months, an maybe rust or something got to the injectors , but all is good in my world again thanks to all,

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i didnt let the berries get it , studied all answers but RonD and the lean fuel got it, exhaust temp on 3 and 5 at and idle were up and down all other ones stayed the same, so went with a new set of injectors at fixed the problem I think what happened was i broke my arm and the motor was apart for a couple of months, an maybe rust or something got to the injectors , but all is good in my world again thanks to all,
Good Work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for update and posting the fix

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals