• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 run around

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Last week I noticed my rear end cover sprung a leak because of rust. Saturday I went to three junk yards....nothing,then went to Autozone,Advance Auto and O'rieylies (sp) and all they offer is a cover for a 8.8 and that is all their computer shows for an 87. Of course the people who helped me didn't know anything and it is like I had to try to convince them it wasn't the right part. At O's I asked the kid if he could contact the company to tell them their info is wrong....gave me several excuses as to why he couldn't contact them.... I just don't want someone else who needs a 7.5 rear cover to end up with the wrong part. After looking closer my rear cover is leaking but not as bad as I thought so it is not an emergency and I was able to fix it enough to get by.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I work at Napa and I can't get a cover for a 7.5. The computer doesn't say the 8.8 is the only axle available, it just only lists a part number for the 8.8 cover and makes no mention of a 7.5 cover (because it isn't available). I would imagine the other parts stores are the same. Now, why is a 7.5 cover unavailable? I have no idea.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ALL the major autoparts companies have been selling people the wrong parts for brakes and bearing on

the front end of Rangers 1993-97 without a 4.0 engine
it is ASSumed that the "late" dana 28 what we call the 35/28hybred
takes the same spindles shafts rotors bearigns hubs etc as the early "true" D28 axle(which it does not)

And:

outer axle shaft bearings for a '90-? Ranger with an 8.8" axle
the auto parts will try to sell you Explorer/F150 parts, because except
for the FX4Level2 trucks the rangers use the CAR bearigns, not the larger
"Truck bearings" that they will try to send you
home with...

I tried to correct this issue for almost a decade before I finally reached the "**** it" point of disgust

So I'm not really suprised that they are wrong elsewhere.

If you want a diff cover for a 7.5" might I suggest you ask for a diff cover for a Bronco2?

AD

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I work at Napa and I can't get a cover for a 7.5. The computer doesn't say the 8.8 is the only axle available, it just only lists a part number for the 8.8 cover and makes no mention of a 7.5 cover (because it isn't available). I would imagine the other parts stores are the same. Now, why is a 7.5 cover unavailable? I have no idea.
when i worked at autozone, it was the same way. how is some kid that works in the store gonna know who manufactures every part? they're there to SELL you stuff, go get parts down from a shelf and maybe install a battery every now and then. that's why they hire idiots at those places, they could care less if they know anything about cars as long as they have a $22 average ticket. i worked with girls that needed help changing windshield wipers on people's cars.

with parts stores, you need to find the exact part you need online, call up there to see if they have it/carry it, have them personally go put their hands on that and then have them put the part on hold. then you take your old part with you to the store, compare with the new part and then you pay. even though 85% of the people that work there are retarded and know nothing about cars, they have to be able to read.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago, a guy came in looking for a 7.5 cover for his B3000. Looked it up, didn't list a part number for one, only for the 8.8 axle. I tried looking it up for Ranger, still no number. I tried looking it up for a few different year Rangers, nothing. I even tried looking it up for a Thunderbird and tried a few different years. A 7.5 cover is simply unobtainable from a parts store. As I said before, I don't know why.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you want a diff cover for a 7.5" might I suggest you ask for a diff cover for a Bronco2?

AD
i did that at autozone.com and found a part # of 6073.....that's for a chrom cover though

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i was given wrong axleshaft seals this spring for my '93 8.8, they tried to tell me my truck really had the 7.5 you almost have to take the old part with you to avoid a 2nd trip.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to mention that Advance could get a chrome cover for $28 and "O" had one for $55 but the last thing my Ranger needs is any chrome LOL,I would have to just paint it black. I told my friend who gave me a ride that it's sucks even worse cause I know there is a million of those covers around.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
i did that at autozone.com and found a part # of 6073.....that's for a chrom cover though
Same here. I called our Autozone and asked to see if this was for real as well. They said they have a chrome one but not in stock. I guess it is a daler part only then? Try Parts.com and see what they have for the smaller rear end. My 8.8 cover is in stock in a few places near me. Go figure.....

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
I can find the chrome ones on Amazon.com. The stock cover that's on my bronco ii is actually a black plastic, not metal at all. I was able to get the gasket for it from napa.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
Transmission
Manual
When i had to replace mine i got it from bronco grave yard for like 30 bucks shipped

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
hmm... the auto zone by my house is pretty good. They just try to sell you every nic nac and do-dad on the counter at check out. I just say "I dont feel like buying garbage" and they shut up haha!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
hmm... the auto zone by my house is pretty good. They just try to sell you every nic nac and do-dad on the counter at check out. I just say "I dont feel like buying garbage" and they shut up haha!
It's required to try to sell all kinds of crap. If you're not pushing it, you don't move ahead in the company, your promotions suck, and you risk being wrote up. So they push the crap.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
It's required to try to sell all kinds of crap. If you're not pushing it, you don't move ahead in the company, your promotions suck, and you risk being wrote up. So they push the crap.
...like when you buy a set of brake pads and theres this packet of lube taped to the box, they charge a extra $2.00 for, i tear it off & say, " nope, ive got a containor of anti-sieze".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals