• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

moving to maryland with my truck.

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
As the title says. I am moving to maryland just out side of DC, with my 84 ford ranger, on full width axles, 38" swampers. What are the laws like for tires sticking 6" past the fenders? It currently has 3.5 inches of lift over stock but stands decently high cause of the tires. What are the laws like for a rig like mine. Can I put antique tags on it and call it good? Any constructive advice would be great.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Just Google it, Bro. They are very strick up there.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
I was told that in Maryland, after your first inspection, you are good for the life of the vehicle in that state. That's about all I know.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
No, not true. Vehicles wear out and get issues, cracked windows, exhaust leaks, headlight break or go out. Things to think about!!!!

jhammel85

I was told that in Maryland, after your first inspection, you are good for the life of the vehicle in that state. That's about all I know.
Yup. We have work trucks regestered in MD where our main office is. That's pretty much my understanding too with them. Pass it once and it sounds like you'll be OK.

....Even if it is a bit scary thinking about the POS cars people are probably driving...

I would look it up to see if you will have a problem. Frankly, I think you should be OK. If not, some flares would fix that AND you would be adding some style to the truck. Win / Win. :icon_thumby:

TimV

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Register it as a street rod and call it good. It will never pass a MD state inspection for regular tags. Street Rod tags are for heavily modified vehicles 25 years and older. :icon_thumby:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
As the title says. I am moving to maryland just out side of DC, with my 84 ford ranger, on full width axles, 38" swampers. What are the laws like for tires sticking 6" past the fenders? It currently has 3.5 inches of lift over stock but stands decently high cause of the tires. What are the laws like for a rig like mine. Can I put antique tags on it and call it good? Any constructive advice would be great.

Here, Bro. Look at this website and scrap that truck you say you drive with 38's. I don't see any photos of your truck and saw that you have issues with it in your other post. You might have to scrap that thing.......

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/lift-laws.htm

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
yea, that truck isnt gonna pass inspection. you can try though!

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
Well all of the problems with this truck are currently fixed! It drives good and everything currently is working! Here are 2 pictures of it.

This is a picture of my truck next to a stock ranger from the same year.

Here is a picture of my truck next to a stock bronco from 87.

The overall height of the truck is a little high but not stupid high. Well Ill look into registering it as a street rod then. Thanks for the ideas.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Well all of the problems with this truck are currently fixed! It drives good and everything currently is working! Here are 2 pictures of it.

This is a picture of my truck next to a stock ranger from the same year.

The overall height of the truck is a little high but not stupid high. Well Ill look into registering it as a street rod then. Thanks for the ideas.
Ugh!! No street rod, Bro. You can't rgester that. Passenger Trucks...Cut out fenders...against the law...'Break the law, Break the law'....lol. One of my favorite songs besides the Stones 'Get of My Cloud'....lol

No, that will not pass. No fenders (cutting them is that same as not having any). The tires stick out way to far and I doubt you will make it to Maryland with those bald looking tires. Those tires will not pass inspection in Maryland . That thing will suck up the gas and oil....lol. Sell the truck and get another Ranger, Bro. You can get something that will last you and you can drive it anywhere in Maryland.

Good luck, Bro!!!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

Not to go too far off-topic here, but that's not an 87 Bronco. That grille tells me it's a 1992-96.

walter

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
In maryland you can register it as a historic and there is no inspection. Your not supposed to use it everyday but lots of people do, i have never heard of anyone getting busted.

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Walter. Clearly it is not a daily driver with 5.13 gears and a doubler. Nor do I expect I will be driving it to any trails. I simply want to keep it on the road so I can drive it on the weekends occasionally.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals