• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ol' sally

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a thread in the v8 swap forum (http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=154631) but since that has been done for awhile I decided to start one here. I have been collecting parts for a d44/d60 swap for awhile and decided to tackle it last weekend. These were the specs on my truck pre swap:
-1998 ford ranger extended cab originally 3.0 automatic 2wd
-manual locks and windows
-12" alpine sub
-multimedia head unit and upgraded speakers
-31" cooper stt maxx's on 16" aluminum explorer rims
-rear shackle flip
-64" chevy leaf swap with 5" lift procomp leafs
-kartek drop hangers
-beltech hangers
-1999 explorer 5.0
-tuned with sct x4
- stock exhaust up to 1st set of cats then merge into 3" tube and through a 3" glasspack and dump before the rear axle
-msd coil packs and performance plugs and wires
-1992 f250 small block zf5
-1993 bronco bw1356 with a fixed yoke
-custom made driveshaft by me from 3" DOM
-explorer center and overhead consoles
-explorer Eddie Bauer leather seats
-custom rear bumper
-2" body lift to clear the zf5

Last weekend my boss let me use the shop to do my swap but I needed to be out by work Monday morning so I pulled in at 7pm Friday and out Monday at 530 am. This is a list of parts used and work done.
-1976 f250 dana 60 4.10 open carrier, all new seals, modified carrier to accept a tone ring, speed sensor added to pumpkin, chevy disc brake swap.
-1979 f250 HP dana 44 4.10 open carrier, new seals and wheel bearings.
-ruff stuff parts: 2.5"x.5" DOM for the long arms; 1.5"x.25" DOM for the upper link, steering and track bar; weld in bungs for the DOM; gm one ton TRE's; heims for the track bar and a few other things probably.
-ballistic fab parts: ballistic joints for the links, axle coil/shock/link mount combo, adjustable coil buckets, axle track bar and upper link mounts, frame track bar mount, frame lower link mounts
-8" TJ super lift coils
-later Toyota IFS steering box
-marlin pitman arm modified for 1 ton tre's

I cut out the old portion of the frame where the coils sat inside, then plated it flat. I still need to add upper shock towers I ordered from ruffstuff, then install front shocks. Then I'll lift the back some more to match the front height and add shocks. I need to install the coopers on my 8 lug rims. Eventually I am going to add 37" tires, ox locker for the 60, Detroit for the 44 and 4.56 gears all around. I also need to modify my trans crossmember to clear a front driveshaft and shorten the driveshaft I took off the f250 I got the trans from. I need to cut a hole for and install the transfer case shifter as well.

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
thats alot of work doen real fast! good job got anymore pics of the set up?

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need to get some more pictures. I'll try to remember tomorrow when I'm working on it. I bought some shock towers from ruffstuff but they were too wide so I've had to modify them to fit.

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the beast back up on the lift for a few things and was able to grab a few pictures of the work. I lowered the front one hole in my adjustable coil buckets which was about 1.5 inches. The back is still a little lower but I plan on fixing that too. I replaced my high pressure adapter fitting because I stripped the first one and I welded a few things up. I haven't gotten a chance to do a real alignment and swap my 31's on yet. I won't be back from thanksgiving until next week. But I did drive it about 70 miles on the freeway and it performed amazing. I even got it up to about 85 with no vibrations or steering issues. I did save the sway bar and it could benefit from installing it which I plan to do down the road. My next big thing to tackle is replacing the flywheel. I used the flywheel that was on the truck I got the ZF5 from which had a 5.8l. I guess the flywheel for a 5.0 is 25oz off from the 5.8 and I can feel some vibrations when idling and at certain rpm's.

At full droop the tire is about 22" from the wheel well and at 14.5" when sitting on its own weight. The back at 16" and then 12" when sitting.

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I was working on my truck tonight at the shop but the power went out on the block. I'm hoping it comes on soon because I can't get it off the lift until it's back on. I was hoping to get a bunch done but it's not looking too good.

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Power finally came on about 2 hours later. I was able to get the back of my truck lifted to match the front. I used blocks because it was the easiest way to do it. It would be nice not to have them but for now I'll use them. I have 6" lift springs installed with a shackle flip, 1.5" drop hanger and beltech shackle but was about 2" too short with the overload spring. I took out the overload and put 3" blocks in. I also painted my front suspension and replaced the tensioner pulley on the 5.0. I was debating staying up later to change my flywheel but decided against it. I keep searching KSL (like craiglist around here) for a set of 17" wheels that I can use but everytime I find a deal they are sold before I get the chance to see them. I may end up having to buy a new set. I'm also looking for a good set of 37" Km2's but may end up buying them new as well.

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I finally found a decent set of wheels/tires locally. They are 37x12.5-R17 BF Goodrich mud terrains. I got 4 wheels and 5 tires for 300$. Two of the tires will last for a while and two will need to be replaced this summer but they'll work great for now.

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Truck looks great!!

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Truck looks awesome! Must be nice having a car lift!

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you!!

josuegdl

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a few things in the mail today.

That's a rebuild kit and 4.88 gears for my Dana 44 and 60. Waiting on a few more goodies to come in the mail before putting them in.

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been working on a beefier cover for my 44. The flange is 3/8'' and the rest is 1/4", should work pretty well. It is all tacked together, I just need to weld the rest up.

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Few more things came in the mail today.

An Ox Locker for the 60 and an electronic shift system. I also got a new yoke for the 60.

ascentpro

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't had time to do gears yet but I have made a few steps towards it. In order to keep my speedo working with the ox locker I need a pickup wheel for my sensor. I ordered a wheel online and then turned down the inner diameter until i could press it onto the ox. Then I added a few tacks for safety. I also finished the cover for my 44.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals