• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1354 not engaging.

4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 1993 4.0 ranger doesnt go into 4x4. it clicks while i drive forward. and it seems to be locked in in reverse. i can jack up the front and grab the wheel with it locked into 4x4 and make it rotate. it kinda feels like its jumping teeth or something. im stuck.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Are they auto hubs? If so they could be broken or need a cleaning. Auto hubs disengage when you drive in reverse, which is why you don't hear the clicking noise. Next time you have both wheels on jackstands try turning the drive shaft coming out of the transfer case, when you do this you should be able to see the axle shaft turn until it locks the hubs. If you have a broken or dirty hub then you will see the axle shaft on that side continue to spin without engaging the wheel.

If you have a dirty hub then your job is easy, clean it with brake cleaner! Once you've cleaned your hub don't pack it with grease (which will prevent the hub from engaging properly). Instead, coat it with some ATF.

Here is a write up you can follow along in the tech library: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/HubDiagnosis.shtml

Your hub might be broken, but a good cleaning is worth a shot before spending money on new hubs. Sorry for your troubles, auto 4x4 sucks. I know, my truck has it!

4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i fixed it last night. i had the tranny and tcase out to do a clutch job and figured might better take a look in the t case. the oil pump pickup was broke off for some reason and because of that the oil pump was blown apart. also the splined coupler that actually locks the tcase into 4wd was pretty well screwed. luckly i had a buddy who had a couple 1350 stick tcases laying around and wouldnt you know it the internals are damn near the same. so glad i found the issue. now i gotta slam the beast back together tonight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals