• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fogs & High Beams together

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok replaced old fog lights with new. The fogs only work on low beam, when I turn on the high beams they go off. Now how do I rig it up so that when the high beams are on the fogs also turn on? I used the same plugs as the stock fogs. 94' ranger btw.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, given that PA motor vehicle code says that it is illegal to have the fogs and the high beams on at the same time I would say you don't.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Illegal here in CA too.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm pretty sure that it is part of the Federal rule book that the fogs are supposed to be off with the high beams. That's why every production vehicle is wired that way.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you are right about it being federal. I bypassed it on my Harley bagger. I wanted all the lights I could get for visibility at night. That is for being seen not being able to see.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think you are right about it being federal. I bypassed it on my Harley bagger. I wanted all the lights I could get for visibility at night. That is for being seen not being able to see.
Motorcylces are a bit different. They usually don't have the candle power to blind an oncoming driver like some of these other cars. They are also much harder to see.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't see a reason why you would want it in a truck. Fogs are for fog. And the last thing you want to use in fog is your high beams.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't see a reason why you would want it in a truck. Fogs are for fog. And the last thing you want to use in fog is your high beams.
Bingo. I think what we have here is another case of someone who misunderstands the purpose of headlights and such and wants to blind oncoming drivers by having the power of the sun on the front of his truck.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I run highs and fogs all the time. Switch to low with oncoming traffic obviously. It's illegal here, but it's debatable. Were allowed 4 white front facing lights on at a time. So one could argue its legal.

I run fogs with no fog simply because it lights up the edges of the road far better than high beams. Ranger lights suck in general. Fogs on helps.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seriously how many people are going to be bothered more by meeting fog lights (which are fine to run with the low beams meeting other vehicles) than the high beams? If you go to low beams when you are supposed to I doubt many will be able to tell that you had the fogs on with the highbeams anyway.

I run the fogs pretty much all the time (just on lowbeam though, IMO high beam is fine the way it is on my '150), they do shine more in the road ditches than the low beams and that is where deer lurk right before they go kamakazi.

NEVER been flashed in 8 years/75k miles for running the fogs so I don't think it bothers too many people.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bingo. I think what we have here is another case of someone who misunderstands the purpose of headlights and such and wants to blind oncoming drivers by having the power of the sun on the front of his truck.
No, no, don't want to blind other drivers. I live where the deer are thick, the roads are dirt, and where few people live and drive. I just want to see better at night is all. I'd like full control of my lights. Maybe I'll add some driving lights, wire them up to a toggle and fire them up when needed.

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd like full control of my lights.
I hear ya. I had the fogs on my 97 to a switch, turned them on whenever I felt like it. Get this fancy newish 2008 ranger, and thought something was broken when my fogs didn't work with high beams.

Daytime running lights, fog light restrictions, not impressed with these invasions into my vehicle.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hear ya. I had the fogs on my 97 to a switch, turned them on whenever I felt like it. Get this fancy newish 2008 ranger, and thought something was broken when my fogs didn't work with high beams.

Daytime running lights, fog light restrictions, not impressed with these invasions into my vehicle.
Yeah I hear ya. The 94 isn't bad but the newer vehicles U can keep IMO. Too many friggin' nannies, "traction" control, ABS, torque management, backup cameras, automatic daytime running lights, crash avoidence radar that applies the brakes, self parking features, etc, etc. Whatever happened to DRIVER control? In a couple of yrs we might as well jump into our George Jetson tubes and be wisked away to wherever or just ride the bus...sad.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Ok replaced old fog lights with new. The fogs only work on low beam, when I turn on the high beams they go off. Now how do I rig it up so that when the high beams are on the fogs also turn on? I used the same plugs as the stock fogs. 94' ranger btw.
Amazing, not one post answered your question.

I'm working from memory so test wires. I'm 54 years old and I did this to my 93 10 or 12 years ago.

On the back of your foglight switch is a Red/Black wire. Test it, it will have 12 volts on it when the lights are on and 0 volts when the high beams are on.

What I did was cut that wire and ran it to my light switch and wired it to the Brown wire on the switch. Now when ever the lights are on, I have power to my switch.

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Just run a relay kit, with the 12v on from the battery and the 12v that should be from your high/lows to your ignition on with a switch, that's what I did, my fogs only come on when the car is on, and I flip the switch

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals