• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replace this with better...

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Give me some ideas on what to replace these junk factory fog lights. Should I get fog lights or driving lights. Really don't want HIDs, maybe LEDs would be good? Trucklite (the company) I drive by once a week, maybe they have something??

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Those "junk" factory fogs are made by Hella (Germany). There isn't a whole lot out there that is better (at least that will fit within the factory valence openings).

I'd try to clean those up some and stick some new H3 bulbs in there.
Something to check though is that the lenses aren't coming unglued. I've seen where the factory caulk around them tends to harden with age and allows the lens to fall off (silicone RTV works good).

I wouldn't do LEDs though (not yet anyway... Maybe if they get the light color better I would... But right now most of them aren't much good for any kind of distance illumination).

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mkay then. Yes the passenger light has water in it (doesn't work obviously) and the previous owner appears to have monkeyed with the caulking around it to no avail. I'll get new bulbs, clean and seal them up and see. Thanks. I guess I could always fab a light bar and stick it into my new 2" receiver too. Hmmmmm....evil thoughts....

Last edited:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK back to plan A. Like an idiot I attempted to remove the light by removing the nut on the back of the light bracket...yup it broke the thin plastic back casing for the light. Didn't realize I just could have popped the light out :icon_confused::bawling::dunno:...what a dumbass I am. The light itself needed to be replaced anyway, the bulb was broken and rusted to it. I checked Auto Zone and they have replacement lights made by Pilot and are $95 a piece! Soooooo I'm looking for alternatives.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Here's a guy on Ebay selling them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-FORD-F150-F-150-1993-1997-RANGER-FOG-LIGHT-LAMP-FOGLIGHT-RH-LH-/310373319515?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger|Year:1993&hash=item4843b1035b&vxp=mtr

FWIW, Wal-Mart has a set of lights that will almost fit exactly into the OEM openings (I forgot the brand), they're like $20 or 30 a pair (they'll have some dumb-looking chrome guards over them which you can remove). They look almost exactly like the originals once installed, though they definitely aren't as bright (or have as well-defined of a beam, which tends to hurt their performance in fog). Something you could use just to fill the openings with though.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since my new lights don't fit the OEM holes and brackets...I decided to rip off the airdam and install the new lights on top of the bumper. Will post pick when other new light comes in. Being an idiot I thought they came in pairs so I had to order another one from Summit Racing.

Pic of old Hella OEM light with new light. OEM light is 4" Dia. New light is 5" Dia.

Last edited:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got em on and working

Dog has to check em out too.

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Put the air dam back on with some stock junkyard replacements and maybe add 2 more above your bumper

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually tried to put these 5" dia. lights into the 4" dia. holes in the airdam...no go. I went as far as cutting out a larger hole in the plastic, that went ok but the metal brackets would not allow the larger dia. light to fit. I tried drilling new holes into the brackets to no avail. After that I took a large screwdriver and ripped the airdam off and then cut using a dremel the 6 bolts that held it on. I threw the airdam into the burn barrel and lit her up. Bye bye airdam :thefinger:. Might install more lights as time goes on but not a priority yet. By the way...the metal mesh covering the rad. is from a roof gutter meant to filter out leaves. I don't care, looks ok and protects the rad. from sticks, rocks and such.

Last edited:

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
It looks like my face after you took that air dam off...

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Don't throw the valance away. Throw it up in the classified. Members are always looking for foglight valances.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't throw the valance away. Throw it up in the classified. Members are always looking for foglight valances.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Didn't think of that. I still have the metal brackets that hold the lights I anyone wants them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals