• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

After replacing all bulbs w/ LEDs, a few glitches

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I replaced front and rear bulbs and turn flasher from Superbrightleds. Now the tail lights (and not front markers) come on low when ign key is on. when the parking/marker lights are turned on they go to regular brightness and bright when brake is applied. This in and of itself is not a bad thing, but unusual. Also not sure if it's related, but cruise control quit working (checked fuse).
Any ideas what's up?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
The low glow sounds like leakage current. The new flasher modules are probably solid state which are usually subject to leakage current (like a leaky faucet). A traditional flasher is a mechanical relay circuit which is the equivalent to flicking a switch. Could you post the part numbers you used? It may be worth a call to superbrightLEDs to ask them about the flasher unit.

Ford Doctor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
While leakage current through the flasher is possible, how would it reach the rear brake/turn LEDs through the isolation provided by the multi-function switch?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
While leakage current through the flasher is possible, how would it reach the rear brake/turn LEDs through the isolation provided by the multi-function switch?

I am thinking because the switch operates the flasher unit and the flasher unit operates the load. The lights are driven directly from the in cab switch which mean leakage current could still get through.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know this is kind of out there, probably not the answer, but it's easy and free to check.

Unplug the brake switch and see if they still come on dim with the key on. It's not likely since the brake switch is always hot, but it could explain both the lights and the cruise.

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks all,
Flasher- http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/cf12anl-01-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/781/835/
I had to wire it opposite to work and since it's a square flasher and a round fuse block hole/socket/place to stick it, I used jumper wires and mounted it remote by about 5".
Brake/tail light- http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-45-smd-led-tower-/814/
Backup/reverse- http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-led-bulb-single-intensity-45-smd-led-tower/526/
I was confused that it only affects the rear and not the front and side markers.
Could the current leakage somehow disable the cruise control?

Ford Doctor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I am thinking because the switch operates the flasher unit and the flasher unit operates the load. The lights are driven directly from the in cab switch which mean leakage current could still get through.
The switch does supply the load to the flasher, but the switch is mounted between the flasher and lights therefore isolating the flasher when the turn signals are not in use. Easy enough to check though by removing the flasher and rechecking.

Ford Doctor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Could the current leakage somehow disable the cruise control?
Yes, definitely. I am thinking that it could actually be the cruise control module providing the leakage current down the brake light wire causing the key on dim glow and lack of cruise. The LEDs may simply not supply enough of a load to bleed off this leakage current. I have diagnosed a inoperative cruise control before where the cause of the problem was both brake light filaments were burned out. If reinstalling one of the incandescent bulbs causes the problem to go away, I would confirm its the cruise module by disconnecting it and rechecking (if memory serves correctly it should be behind the glove box). If the problem dissapears then you will need to install some load resistors like these: http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/tail-light-load-resistor-kit/190/831/

f6boomer

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again for all the ideas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals