• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 sport trac stuck and need some help

redline353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok I put a 5.0 from a 98 explorer in my 03 sport trac. It runs but I cant figure out the speed signal to make the trans shift and speedo work. I think the g-force transducer needs to be in it some how but not sure where to put it. Also using a 97 PCM to delete the pats. All help is appreciated and needed

Last edited:

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Which engine harness are you using

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Depending on which ECM, it's entirely possible he has a vehicle that uses the ABS sensor as a VSS, and an ECM that uses a t-case VSS.

Which also utilize different PPM as well.

So what t-case are you using?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The '97 Expo PCM expects to see a VSS hung off the back of the transmission, thought the '98 Expo used the same thing. Thinking it was in '99 that the mechanical signal generator was scrapped in favor of the using the ABS system.

Simple 2 wire gear driven speed sensor. The Orange/Pink is a ground, the Grey/Black the signal that ties into the Grey/Black for the rest of the vehicle.

If the VSS is fitted at the back of the transmission, verify it's wiring and if connected correctly, suspect a bad VSS or broken driven gear.

If not fitted, should be easy to add one to the back of the transmission and wire it in.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Exactly, so his 2003 doesn't have a provision for a trans/transfer case driven VSS.

redline353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
using the harness that came with 98 expo engine and trans
the trac has the vss in the rear axle . I found the signal from it at the abs module on the rd/pk and g/bl . jumperd to gr/bl and added pin 33 for vss input on 97 pcm and get nothing .it has manuel 2 gear only no speedo or speed on scan tool .
the 2 wires on the abs have .8vac at idle in gear and 3.1vac ish revved up so I think the sensor works and it worked on the 4.0
Do I need the transducer to change the signal seen something on nother thread

redline353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
also using transfer case from the 98 doner I have the whole thing

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, the ST has the ABS based speed signal, and the '97/'98 harness has a VSS at the back of the transmission/transfer case?

If so, you might have 2 complete speed signals in conflict with each other rather than no speed signal at all. Pulling the original ST engine and PCM would have had no effect of the ST's ABS based speed signal.

Think a quick test of unplugging the VSS at the back of the transmission/transfer case would be the easiest way to verify.

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The 97 ecm needs to see the signal from gear driven vss the spedo needs the signal from the abs thats how my ranger is setup i wired the vss from the trans straight to the pcm and left the signal from the abs alone

redline353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled the vss signal out off abs plug and put it to pin 33 and 58 on the pcm that's what my schematics show for vss for the 97 pcm still no shift or signal on my scanner. Will try and unplug vss at back of trans with that setup and see what happens.
If the trac signal comes from the abs shouldn't the cluster still work?
the ac volt signal i have on those two wires seems right to me can anyone verify this .8 at idle 3. open throttle in gear 0 in park
the harness from pcm to trans is untouched at this point. I ran it thru the gears twice before I pulled it ,would have drove more but the front end has no pinion bearing and was locking bad.

Last edited:

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The 97 pcm needs the vss signal from the trans the ac signal from abs wont work

redline353

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok I rewired the plug for the abs module from the 98 doner and put its vss signal out on the bk/gy that runs from pcm to cruse and dash that made the speedo work and the -signal from the rear axle on pin 33 to pcm and abs that gave me the signal on the scanner but it still don't want to shift. don't have a good enough scanner to see gear commands. any thoughts? I am running it on jack stands with no front drive shaft seems like it should shift this way

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals