• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best computer for a manual behind explorer 5.0

Ford460

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just like the title says.. Looking for advise on what the best computer choice would be to run a manual transmission behind a 97 explorer 5.0. I was thinking something like a 93 mustang 5 speed computer? Thanks for any help!

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could depend on a couple things.

Back dating to a earlier 'Stang PCM will add bank fire injectors and back to a single ignition coil with a distributor, both of which will cost some efficiency and performance.

Arguably, the better option would be a tuned '97 Explorer PCM with the transmission functions shut down.

Keeps the sequential fuel injection and the superior coil pack ignition.

Down side is the $200 - $400 for the privilege.

Again, arguably, the best option would be to move to "up date" the PCM to a tuned 99 - 01 Expo with both the PATS and transmission tuned out of it.

Would need a much higher fuel supply than the other options and different injectors but the higher fuel pressure to the injectors aids in fuel atomization for a few extra bits of power and efficiency.

Between the differences in the cam position sensor wiring and different fuel system, the last of the Expo PCM's would add even more cost and effort than the earlier Expo PCM.

So, it's a balance of cost vs function.

The "Stang PCM will absolutely do the job for likely the least cost. A tuned Expo will likely do a better job, but for more work and cost.

No right answer, no wrong answer, just whatever best fits your wants/budget/desires.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^

'95 and up Ranger/explorers used the 104 pin EEC-V computers, '94 and older used 60 pin EEC-IV computer so engine wiring harnesses are not compatible.

There were EEC-IV computers with sequential fuel injection, although Batch fire was more common.
Cam position sensor fine tunes sequential fuel injection but isn't strictly needed, especially on engines with distributors.
EEC-IV also needs an ignition control module(spark), TFI, or HEI, with distributor, or EDIS-8 without

Good read here and a list of EEC-IV numbers to look for for 5.0l with manual and SFI: http://oldfuelinjection.packrad.net/page17.html

I always though the A9L was sequential, that's a popular number to find :)

Harness also needs to to have a 8 injector wires for sequential, batch will only have 2 wires
And harness needs to match distributor or no distributor

Last edited:

Ford460

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Holy smokes I am definitely glad I asked the question! I definitely did not think of that stuff..

So it looks like my best option out of that is to have mine (I have the 97 Explorer computer) flashed to remove all of the transmission signals.

Any insight on what company's do that?

So pretty much any EEC-IV computer will not work without switching the entire engine harness to work with the 60 pin connector? Also what about a 94 - Later stang with a 5.0?

Sorry if my questions seem dumb this is my first time really swapping and playing with EFI to this degree..

Also what about a Moates Quarterhorse?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals