• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 Help!

DangerRanger578

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy y'all,

I have a 1996 for ranger XLT with a 5.5" suspension lift with 31's on it right now. It came stock with the crappy 3.0 that has finally bit the dust. I'm looking to do the popular 5.0 swap.

I need to know whats the easiest way to approach this and the most cost effective way. Would it be easier to buy a donor vehicle such as a 96 explorer and just transfer everything over or would it be easiest to go with a crate engine? What year model mustangs would be most reliable?

Now I was going to do this myself but I don't have the time nor do I have a proper place to do it or the proper tools so I'm going to have a mechanic do it.

I'm just looking for the most important things to work engine, transmission, power steering and radio. This is just my weekend toy not a daily driver.

Any advice would be most appropriated thanks and Godbless.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
assuming you have a 4x4. any 96-01 explorer will do. but late 97 and up have the more desirable gt40p heads which have better compression and better flow. the cheapest and easiest way is buy a donor vehicle with everything you need, and swap it over.

DangerRanger578

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So buying a small block 302 crate engine would be out of the question as far as price is concerned?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its not out of the question. but then youll need the intake. efi setup (or carb setup) distributor. all the front accessories. a transmission. radiator. and a bunch of other things that would take forever to type out. it just depends on what you want to do with the truck. i suggest a low mileage donor vehicle because they have usually all the little things that will drive you insane if you try to piece it together

DangerRanger578

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Makes sense thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals