• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project 3G

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Everyone,
I am new to all this, but here goes anyway..... My father passed away several years ago. The only thing that I kept from him was a 1986 Ranger which I drove for a few years. It then sat for several years until my daughter started to drive and it received an engine and transmission rebuild and ran great. Years went by and the truck now runs on prayers. My son is now driving age and as a complete surprise to me asked if he too could drive his grandfather's truck and wanted a “Father Son” project.

So, with all that being said I decided to begin "Project 3G" , 3 generations of drivers all using the same truck (can't think of a better way of keeping my father’s memory alive). I live in California and would like to do a Smog Legal V8 engine swap. Although the rebuild was fine at the time the tiny under powered 2.3 is almost unsafe to drive. I am not interested in making it an Off Road truck or a 1/4 mile dragster (lol). It will be used as daily driver and occasionally for towing a Seadoo.

Is it possible to use an early 90's donor vehicle 302, Fuel Injected with an automatic transmission, pull all the wiring and computer along with the emission components and drop it in the Ranger.
Need all the help I can get, I have never done a project this big. Looking for engine/trans/ rear and front end combos I should use or be looking for.

Thanks a Million TRS

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi and welcome to TRS.
I don't know much about Ca smog, but I've heard that a donor motor can be from the same or newer truck. I would look at a 90's 5.0 liter Explorer, and try to get a complete running truck. The ranger and explorer share the same frame and running gears so the swap is fairly straight forward. Check out the tech section at the top of every page.
Good luck,

Richard

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi and welcome to TRS.
I don't know much about Ca smog, but I've heard that a donor motor can be from the same or newer truck. I would look at a 90's 5.0 liter Explorer, and try to get a complete running truck. The ranger and explorer share the same frame and running gears so the swap is fairly straight forward. Check out the tech section at the top of every page.
Good luck,

Richard
While your stock 7.5 rear axle will probably be fine with a stock V8 if you do get a whole Explorer and plan on using its 8.8 you will cut off the stock mounts (easy) and either weld or have someone weld new mounts on it for you.

If you find a 4wd Ex for a bargain find a cheap t-case and just throw on it. The 2low might be handy for boat ramps :icon_twisted:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
As stated, locate a 96-97 explorer thats been rolled or wrecked, but complete. Since you live in CA, you will need every component that hooks to the trans. Your fuel tank, fuel lines and fuel pump is adequate to run the V8, however I'd replace the fuel lines from the tank to the engine with the donor's lines (extending will be necessary) as well as install a new intank fuel pump from a mid 90's ranger, just to update the system. I'm doing a build right now titled '88 bronco 2 using a 2000 V8 explorer', this will relate to a lot of what you will need to do, but you will need to do a little more work as that setup didn't transplant all the emissions components like you will need to do...

SVT

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So .... for sure go with an Expoler vs a Mustang ?

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So .... for sure go with an Expoler vs a Mustang ?
Yes, superior fuel injection, superior ignition, most compact set of brackets and accessories. Trust me, room goes away in a hurry in the Ranger's engine bay.

Buy a crashed Explorer, it'll include a limited slip diff witb disk brakes. Almost everything needed for the conversion.

As an example, I paid $650 for a complete running crashed Expo. Sold over $200 worth of stuff out of ths interior and got over $300 for the carcass at the recyclers. Makes the BASIC cost of the core parts I needed under $100. No brainer.

stateranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In California You also have to swap every piece of emissions equipment from the donor vehicle and if you just bought the engine and parts a wrecking yard you have to buy new catalytic converters, some vehicles have 4 of them, then when you get everything done you have to make an appointment with the smog referee who will say ya or nay after they do the visual inspection and sniff test. This is not the guy that smogs your truck every 2 years. If you pass you will get a sticker saying that it was approved and it will be shown on your registration. Getting it to pass may take many trips to the ref.

Here's a great explanation of doing a California legal swap.
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/v8-swap-faq/141177-california-smog-engine-conversions.html

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You need find a 5.0 from an early 90s ford that uses obd 1, the Explorer didn't get the 5.0 until 95-96 and uses an obd 2 computer, to switch to obd 2 would require a complete rewire.
I can tell you're not speaking from experience on this. With this setup i can have this engine running in a riding lawnmower with only 5 wires from one plug hooked up the mustang has muliple plugs, a wider and longer FEAD, and half the amperage output of the alternator (65A vs 130A)...

SVT

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So what's the best year Explorer to hunt for? how hard will it be to wire everything to the dash? and will I have to replace the steering column as well? ... again thank you guys for all your help...I'm on a tight budget....so I can't afford to do what I usually do....start something..then pay someone to finish it for me...lol

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
96 or 97... 98-2000 work but 'easiest' is going to be 96/97. I bought a 2000 not knowing the hassles associated with using a 98+ model year (PATS, VSS, wiring issues, etc) and had to go through the process of converting it all to 96/97 configuration... including swapping transmissions for a 96. Hunt for a wrecked 96/97 Explorer and plan to use the entire drivetrain up to and including the rear axle. I'm sure others will chime in with amplifying information... I only know this from my personal experiences.

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure there are better deals out there but if the driveline is good and you have the wrenching skills to rebuild these high mileage motors and transmissions at parts cost... do it. $400 is nothing but obviously expect to pump in some cash in the process. I think I have about $2,000 in total (I purchsaed a lot of new parts - I'm sure I could have done it much cheaper if I needed to). I paid $300 for my donor, a 2000 cosmetically thrashed but unwrecked and running Explorer with 60K on the clock.

86 Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I planned on having the engine and trans rebuilt since they would but be out.... and mean while get the 86 prep with a 2in. body lift

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unless there's a ton of crushed stuff under the hood of the rollover, that's the one that is the most interesting to me.

The $700 no ac/trans issues is 2nd, the $1000 rear end damaged is too much money.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Go with the first one, not only is it the lowest mileage of them all (200K is not really much for these setups, I swapped in a 190K mileage drivetrain that ran and drove like 50K, and my second swap was a 168K drivetrain, it runs and drives like a 75-90K), but you know it runs and drives otherwise it wouldn't be wrecked. For $400, I'd jump on that QUICK!!

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals