• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 E350 column

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Frustrating day!

I had some column problems with my E350. Tilt did not work and the blinkers would not cancel. Since I had a spare from an E150 that I knew to be in good working order, I decided to swap them. Tested everything before I bolted everything tight and all was well. Found the floor plate to dash mounting bracket distance was about 1/2" short, but the column could be slid out longer by simply pulling it out. Now everything lines up and I bolt it down. Surprise! Now the ignition switch will not engage the start position. I loosened the two bolts and slid the switch to the end of the slots, now I could just barely engage the starter. I did start the engine, but now another problem surfaced. Gear shifter moved thru all gears before I moved the switch, but now, I can get reverse, but cannot move the shifter to neutral, or forward gears! I can only select park, or reverse. Shifter locks with the key off. I loosened up the ignition switch again and I was able to get the shifter unlocked, but now, the shift lever will not lock with the key?

It's getting late and I'm getting frustrated. I think this may have something to do with timing the ignition key rack. I looked at the old column, (which had some very questionable repairs), but I cannot see how the timing may have changed? I'm going to pull it apart tomorrow, but I have not found any detailed instructions as how to dissassemble, or adjust the steering column head. Anybody have any info?

Thanks,

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Before you pull anything apart, and I'm only guessing here. If the shifter is controlled by rods, when you changed the length of the column, the rod for the shifter would need to be changed also or it would be the distance you changed things too short. That would cause the issue you now have.

MrRangerSir

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Found it, but I sure did not enjoy it!

Nasty little device called the upper actuator arm was broken. Small cast aluminum part that serves as the ignition switch actuator arm and the column lock. Apparantly, breakage is common and it usually ends any ability to operate the ignition switch. I'd have to guess it broke when I extended the column. Had to dissassemble the entire head to replace this. All works well now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals