• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 clutch master cylinder hydraulic line connection

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hello, I have a 2000 ranger 5 speed manual transmission with a 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. This is a continuation on having my hydraulic line popping off the slave cylinder when the clutch rusted frozen due to the truck sitting for 5 weeks with a lot of rain, and when I applied a lot of clutch peddle force, it popped out. I cleaned the connection of a small amount of corrosion and installed the hydraulic line back insuring that the locking clip was secure. I bled the system and drove the truck fine for about 50 miles. Last night the line popped out again under normal use driving down the road. I am wondering if I absolutely have to replace the slave cylinder with the new master cylinder assembly. I most likely will try only replacing the master and leaving the slave and try it. Just wanted some insight from those who may know for sure. Being that the connection does not leak when its together I am thinking that only the master cylinder assembly will need replacing. I am assuming that the transmission has to be dropped to get to the slave cylinder and I do not know if the inside of the connection has parts that may wear with age. I do not have too much experience with transmissions. I could handle replacing the master cylinder assembly, but I would not be able to drop the transmission. thanks

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be failing connection, but.............not all that common.

Try reconnecting the fitting, but open the slave bleeder first then connect it, this helps it slide on/in all the way.

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be failing connection, but.............not all that common.

Try reconnecting the fitting, but open the slave bleeder first then connect it, this helps it slide on/in all the way.
got it, although when it pops off I loose about a half cup of fluid. I will try it though and also I am going to sand that lock clip so that it will fit in the groove on the line. I will not try to drive the truck far until I put at least 200 miles on it. Just got a price from Cottman transmission of 1150 for everything new inside and out. Thanks for advice. I am still wondering if I have to put a master cylinder in, if Im ok, without a new slave cylinder. the only way to find out for sure is to try after I will try your suggestion and if it still fails, I will put in a new master cylinder assembly without the slave. If it fails then, I will have to drop the transmission.
i definitely am not taking it on the thruway or expressway until I get it right. thanks again. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
There is no easy or cheap way out on a hydraulic clutch system.

Replacing pieces is going to cost you more in the long run than replacing all of it.

The aggravation, the, the towing expense, the down time, will add cost that you're not planning on.

if you don't know how to do the slave cylinder by taking out the transmission and replacing the flywheel clutch AND slave cylinder, it have it done.

I'm guessing the truck has high mileage and probably needs a new clutch anyhow.

need info

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There is no easy or cheap way out on a hydraulic clutch system.

Replacing pieces is going to cost you more in the long run than replacing all of it.

The aggravation, the, the towing expense, the down time, will add cost that you're not planning on.

if you don't know how to do the slave cylinder by taking out the transmission and replacing the flywheel clutch AND slave cylinder, it have it done.

I'm guessing the truck has high mileage and probably needs a new clutch anyhow.
Okay thank you, I have to agree with you no doubt. Also it could be a hazard too. Its too bad that the connection was not designed better, all it has is that little lock clip, that comes with a new slave cylinder.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Okay thank you, I have to agree with you no doubt. Also it could be a hazard too. Its too bad that the connection was not designed better, all it has is that little lock clip, that comes with a new slave cylinder.
Off hand I would say there are millions of clutches out there with this same connection,

the new one we put together on my truck snapped in with a very firm and distinctive snap.

if you haven't worked on this truck and caused the damage my guess it was already damaged when you got it.

Also, most people would not know when the line is disconnected the clutch pedal is solid with no give whatsoever, and of course more than one person has probably forced it and broken the line or worse.

Erniet67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m having the same problem with mine. The line popped off the slave and pedal got rock hard so I bent the pedal forcing it down. That’s fixed but the line keeps popping off. The retaining clip that holds the master to the slave won’t hold when under pressure. I can’t find just the clip anywhere. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals