• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting issues.

surfish95747

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I have been searching for a bit but cannot find a thread that specifies my problem exactly. If you know of one, link me to it and I'd be much appreciated!

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger 4.0L manual 5 speed. When cold, engine starts take 3 times of trying to get it to start. I will have clutch in, in first or out of gear, turn key and the starter just tries and tries turning the engine over but no start. It does this three times before it finally fires up and runs strong thereafter. The engine temp on the dash read the engine is cold and then as I drive and the engine warms up, it'll be easier to start while it is warm.

I will be replacing spark plugs, just because I do that any time I buy a new vehicle so I will see what these ones look like. Other than the starting issue the engine runs strong and smooth. Any ideas? Thanks!

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding off. Try this: turn key to run, wait 2 seconds, turn key to off. Repeat this 3 times then try to start truck. If it starts right up the check valve is leaking and allowing the pressure to drop to zero. Your 3 starting attempts are just re-pressurizing the fuel system.
It starts quicker when warm because it hasn't had time to fully bleed off pressure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

surfish95747

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the fuel pressure is bleeding off. Try this: turn key to run, wait 2 seconds, turn key to off. Repeat this 3 times then try to start truck. If it starts right up the check valve is leaking and allowing the pressure to drop to zero. Your 3 starting attempts are just re-pressurizing the fuel system.
It starts quicker when warm because it hasn't had time to fully bleed off pressure.
Okay so it does exactly what you say. To fix or replace the check valve, I am assuming that is on the fuel pump? If not where is that check valve? Sorry it took so long to reply I was making sure that is what was happening. I even took the battery down to autozone to have them fully charge it up. Thanks guys.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Check valve is part of the fuel pump, not a separate piece.

But change the fuel filter first, the Ford returnless fuel system, does have a return on the fuel filter, and while it is a long shot, that could be the problem, and for $15 it won't break the bank.

Watch the video, it isn't hard to change and should be changed every 5 years or so anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuaNjisCfaw

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals