• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new sound system. suggestions?

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bc the mono class d's are made for subs. A/b class amps are usually intended for mids/highs-- like a 4 channel.

when i upgraded my amp i went with a 1500w class a/b and it hits hard as hell in my ranger. the only difference i have ever noticed between hearing a/b and class d amps is that you will hear the bass outside the vehicle with a class d a lot more. think pulling up to a stoplight and you can hear the guy 8 cars back(he has a class d).

PFM99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont even know what to say to that clvanhorn your statement makes no cents at all how would a class d amp change the musical propertys of a sub to make it somehow magicly get louder outisde of a car and all im trying to say about the class a/b is he shouldent ruel out a class a/b because he could probly find a nice used class a/b amp n toss it on his sub cheeper then he could find a class d this guy doesnt have a large budget ild say what ever he can get thats the most bang for his buck

JohnnyUhlar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
amps arent an issue. i have a friend that can set me up with a decent amp no problem. the speakers is really where my budget issue is at. i understand the amp debate though. class d is what im after. if i decide i want the speakers to make my ears bleed ill throw a class a/b and do some wiring with my speakers.

yeah soldering in the dash is a challenge lol thats basically the only thing holding me back. as soon as i do that head unit ill have to do the rest in order to make myself content haha. im going to look into the brans of speakers you guys suggested and let you know what i decide on. the amp and subs i have all figured out. i looked into that slim design 4.0B2 suggested and it looks awesome. i think ill set one up with a 600 watt amp behind my passenger seat. the box is a piece of cake and wiring subs is too. head units drive me crazy though. but i think im going to give one of my friends 20 bucks and a six pack and have him do it for me. ill keep you posted.

ItsNotaMustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm new here but I just changed out all my speakers. I bought Boston Acoustic components for the doors and Boston 6x8/5x7's in the rear. I have a Boston 4 channel amp hooked up and it sounds great! Very loud and clear which is what Boston is known for. I am about to add a single Pioneer 10" sub in .75 cu ft box. It will be powered by the same amp. Two channels will power the previously mentioned speakers and the rear channels will be bridged to power the sub. I bought all the Boston stuff from an online source for $309 shipped. The sub came from Car Toys for $35 on clearance. I have had good luck with Pioneer subs in the past.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
4.0B2 is on the right track about the amp explaination. A class a/b amp passes high, mid and low frequencies where a class d ONLY passes low frequencies. I have a BS in electronics engineering. Trust me on this.

Here is my set up.
Speakers and amp:
Kicker DS68 6x8's (I believe that is correct)
Kicker ZX500.1 Class D Mono Block amp
Kicker Solo Baric L7 10" sub in a custom built fiber class enclosure (Still needs to be purchased and built)

My head unit:
Sony XAV 62BT

You have to invest in quality parts to get a quality sound.

Last edited:

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
06 ranger knows his stuff.

only thing i'm gonna do is mount my amps upside down in the "opening" so you can't see them as well, and so they won't move around. its a great idea in a suv.. .

I was always under the impression you don't mount amps upside down as the heat does not have anywhere to go.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
4.0B2 is on the right track about the amp explaination. A class a/b amp passes high, mid and low frequencies where a class d ONLY passes low frequencies. I have a BS in electronics engineering. Trust me on this.
Because of this, they are far more efficient.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I was always under the impression you don't mount amps upside down as the heat does not have anywhere to go.
i've heard that to.. but have seen many done...

also, they used to be between the amp box and the back seat w/ no air room so... i don't think upside down is gonna be a problem. :thefinger:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals