• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Suspension Lift

Pipanski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey everybody, I will (hopefully...once it gets to me its on back order...should ship on the 10th....and I get a day or two to put truck down) soon be installing a 3 inch BL on my 91 ranger. After/while doing this, I want to put a 4 inch suspension lift on for a little bit taller lift and to make sure I can fit 33's.

At first I was reading up on the rough country lift...but have read a few too many bad things about them. Now I'm looking into Super Lift SL.

I found this http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=20961&ProductId=66493 website and it seems pretty complete.

There are only a few things I am not sure about.
1) Where/How can I get a single driveshaft...and/or fix any vibration I may get after installing this kit. I'm planning on going to some shops around here but haven't had time yet (finals next week) I saw a tech article that said something about putting in some shims but was wondering what everybody else has done. Also does anybody around the Toledo OH/MI know of any good 4x4 shops? I think I remember one a few years ago but I heard they closed.

2) What is the difference in the 4"/2" and the 4"/3.5" lifts? Starting with a level (3" BL) truck wouldn't I want as close to a 4"/4" as I could get to keep it level?

3) Ok so I just figured out the whole shackle lift idea. Seems really cheap and easy. Also, since the super lift 4/2 inch lift kit is almost half the price of the 4/3.5 inch lift kit....I'm thinking it would probably be a very good idea to get the 4/2 inch lift from that website and then these shackles http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BEL-6400&N=700+115&autoview=sku to give me a nice 4 inch lift all around. Then with my 3 inch BL I would have a good 7 inches of lift and would be able to fit some 33's underneath it!

Does this sound like a good idea? I'm pretty new to the whole truck/offroading/4x4 thing so any help is appreciated. This idea sounds good to me I just want some other more experienced people's opinions.

Thanks for any help and any opinions you guys have for me!!

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
a one pc driveshaft can come from any 98+ ranger supercab. the 4/2 lift is add-a-leafs in the rear and the 4/3.5 lift is rear leafs. a shackle lift is fine, i will be doing mine as soon as i get my front coils. 4x4 shops in toledo? the one that closed was 4wd diversified. the owner passed away. the staff reopened a shop called diversified car, truck and off road. its in holland by the new wal-mart. ive never had work done there but i havent heard anything bad about them. check it out here. oh and welcome, where at in toledo are you?

Pipanski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So if I can find a 98 and up ranger super cab front driveshaft...it will be a direct replacement? That sounds easy enough! I've never heard of that shop but will have to check them out. I'm kinda near the Franklin Park Mall area....little bit northeast of it...how about you?

Thanks for the welcome and info.

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
So if I can find a 98 and up ranger super cab front driveshaft...it will be a direct replacement? That sounds easy enough! I've never heard of that shop but will have to check them out. I'm kinda near the Franklin Park Mall area....little bit northeast of it...how about you?

Thanks for the welcome and info.
Noo no no. Your front driveshaft should be fine. You will want to swap in a rear driveshaft from a 98+. Yours (and mine) is a 2pc DS, whereas the 98+ is a 1pc.

du510

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Transmission
Manual
Hey everybody, I will (hopefully...once it gets to me its on back order...should ship on the 10th....and I get a day or two to put truck down) soon be installing a 3 inch BL on my 91 ranger. After/while doing this, I want to put a 4 inch suspension lift on for a little bit taller lift and to make sure I can fit 33's.

At first I was reading up on the rough country lift...but have read a few too many bad things about them. Now I'm looking into Super Lift SL.

I found this http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=20961&ProductId=66493 website and it seems pretty complete.

There are only a few things I am not sure about.
1) Where/How can I get a single driveshaft...and/or fix any vibration I may get after installing this kit. I'm planning on going to some shops around here but haven't had time yet (finals next week) I saw a tech article that said something about putting in some shims but was wondering what everybody else has done. Also does anybody around the Toledo OH/MI know of any good 4x4 shops? I think I remember one a few years ago but I heard they closed.

2) What is the difference in the 4"/2" and the 4"/3.5" lifts? Starting with a level (3" BL) truck wouldn't I want as close to a 4"/4" as I could get to keep it level?

3) Ok so I just figured out the whole shackle lift idea. Seems really cheap and easy. Also, since the super lift 4/2 inch lift kit is almost half the price of the 4/3.5 inch lift kit....I'm thinking it would probably be a very good idea to get the 4/2 inch lift from that website and then these shackles http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BEL-6400&N=700+115&autoview=sku to give me a nice 4 inch lift all around. Then with my 3 inch BL I would have a good 7 inches of lift and would be able to fit some 33's underneath it!

Does this sound like a good idea? I'm pretty new to the whole truck/offroading/4x4 thing so any help is appreciated. This idea sounds good to me I just want some other more experienced people's opinions.

Thanks for any help and any opinions you guys have for me!!

hey, if money is an issue, i wouldn't hesitate in getting a RoughCountry... but to each his own.

Anyways, to respond to you:

- I posted about the DS. If you lift the rear, whether it be via blocks or new leafs, there will be no need for shims. The blocks are angled at the bottom, and the new leafs have a shim within the pack. No worries there.

- Of course getting a whole new leaf pack is the better option, but naturally more costly. Which to get? Its a personal decision.

- Are you even all around right now? Stock is usually higher in the rear, hence the aftermarket lift kits compensating by less lift in the rear.

Pipanski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
lol whoops...meant the rear drive shaft....been a loooong day.

Money definitely is not an issue....time is my biggest road block. I have three weeks off of school (after next week) which is where I plan on doing all of this. If I don't get it all done...theres a real good change it won't get done for a while. Plus I really wanna get this done before it starts to snow bad. Also, I'm going on a skiing trip the first week of January and everybody and I want me to take my truck. This is up past Gaylord (about 4 hour drive into MI)

Are you saying that I shouldn't need the one piece drive shaft with this SL and the shackles? I'm trying to learn all of this stuff very quickly as I'd like to order it mostly all next week to have all break to work on it if need be. Sorry for all the questions...I'm at school all day and when I take breaks all I do is read about lifts and such lol. And I believe it is pretty much level...I have pics in my cardomain.

Thanks for the help!!

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
I dont think a bl would level your truck would it? Just raise everything 3 inches.

Pipanski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I dont think a bl would level your truck would it? Just raise everything 3 inches.
I didn't mean that it would level it...just that if it was level when it was stock...with a 3 inch BL would still be level. Thanks though.

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i heard they redesigned the brackets on the RC lifts now so that they bolt on properly. mine was a bitch to install but that was almost two years ago. you will be fine with your stock driveline. the blocks in the rear are angle to correct the pinion angle of the rear driveshaft. taking out the rivets that hold your stock brackets in is going to be your biggest problem. be ready for it.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
if you don't have at least 3.73-4.10 gears you will be sorry if you put on 33's without regearing.a drop pitman arm or superlift super runner steering kit are also recemmended with the suspension lift.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The 98+ rear driveshaft swap is a good thing regardless if it's lifted or not. Bolts right in except you have to remove the carrier bearing on the crossmember.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Didn't have a single problem installing my RC lift (4"). It would have been about Dec. '05 when I put mine in, and everything slid right into place. I got shorted a bolt, but that being the least of my worries, I'm extremely pleased with the RC lift.

As for the driveshaft issue, sorry but I didn't get any experience in this department since my transfer case and tranny are way different than stock, and both my front and rear shaft are customs.

Pipanski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if you don't have at least 3.73-4.10 gears you will be sorry if you put on 33's without regearing.a drop pitman arm or superlift super runner steering kit are also recemmended with the suspension lift.
Yea about the gears...I guess I can handle it being kinda slow....but what I'm really worried is about how well it will perform in any deep snow...I have 8.8 inch 3.55 open right now and haven't really looked into swapping gears too much yet. What I believe I need to do is find another ranger or bronco or explorer in a JY with......I'm thinking 8.8 inch 4.10 and with an LS that I can just take the entire axle out of and swap into my truck. Seems pretty easy as long as I can find a good donor vehicle. I plan on using THIS chart when I go to a jy and look for the codes.

And the super lift suggests not using the super runner steering kit with lifts over 6 inches...and I will have 7 (3Bl and 4SL)

And thanks again for all the info!

EDIT: I just noticed on the super lift website the whole new rear leaf is only $20 more than the add a leaf...and 1/2 inch higher. I believe I may opt for that just to get brand new leafs in there.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals