• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Crankshaft main girdle with 5.0 Ex pan

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Are you going to use a main girdle? If so I will also be watching to see what pieces you use with it, oil pan, fasteners, pick up tube, etc. I am curious what pieces will work together but not interfere pan clearance and so forth.
I used a generic 302 main girdle in my 99 Ex engine with its original stamped Explorer oil pan and Explorer pickup tube. This pan is heavily contoured to clear the AWD front differential (not sure if the 2WD Ex 5.0 pan is the same or not).

Using the unmodified AWD pan with its angled side meant that some of the edge of the girdle needed to be milled away. There was also some hand grinding done on the curved rear corner of the girdle. The result is a large bevel along much of that side of the girdle. Obviously, it is not as strong as before. However, most of the cross-section remains and the girdle should still be a worthwhile improvement over an unbraced block.

Up front, the girdle did not quite clear the Melling oil pump, so that section also needed some work.

The girdle I used was surely intended for a 302 with a front cover dipstick since there was no provision for the Explorer's mid-block stick. Had to mill a slot in the girdle for that. IMO, there is enough meat remaining and it should not be a problem for a fairly mild driver like mine. The windage tray in the second photo is from Canton Products and it also needed to have an opening cut for the dipstick to pass through.

I had to go through much of the extra work because my 2003 Ranger is 4WD and needs a pan contoured to accommodate the same front diff arrangement as the AWD 5.0 Explorer. For a 2WD Ranger/5.0 Explorer swap, it might make sense to research using a different pan and possibly avoiding most of these girdle mods/compromises.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I used a generic 302 main girdle in my 99 Ex engine with its original stamped Explorer oil pan and Explorer pickup tube. This pan is heavily contoured to clear the AWD front differential (not sure if the 2WD Ex 5.0 pan is the same or not).

Using the unmodified AWD pan with its angled side meant that some of the edge of the girdle needed to be milled away. There was also some hand grinding done on the curved rear corner of the girdle. The result is a large bevel along much of that side of the girdle. Obviously, it is not as strong as before. However, most of the cross-section remains and the girdle should still be a worthwhile improvement over an unbraced block.

Up front, the girdle did not quite clear the Melling oil pump, so that section also needed some work.

The girdle I used was surely intended for a 302 with a front cover dipstick since there was no provision for the Explorer's mid-block stick. Had to mill a slot in the girdle for that. IMO, there is enough meat remaining and it should not be a problem for a fairly mild driver like mine. The windage tray in the second photo is from Canton Products and it also needed to have an opening cut for the dipstick to pass through.

I had to go through much of the extra work because my 2003 Ranger is 4WD and needs a pan contoured to accommodate the same front diff arrangement as the AWD 5.0 Explorer. For a 2WD Ranger/5.0 Explorer swap, it might make sense to research using a different pan and possibly avoiding most of these girdle mods/compromises.

Thank you Sir! I wanted to use a girdle on the first 306 I assembled for the Ranger but decided against it at that time. Like you I also feel it is a worth while investment and plan to add one to the next build. At this time I am just collecting the information needed to consider all obstacles before any work is started. You were very helpful with recommendations with my build over the past five years and I am pleased that is still the case as I move into the next chapter.

Jeff

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good info!! Me and Jeff was just talking about this . Good stuff if you will be putting it to the test with 400 plus horsepower and high rpm's. Might go this route on mine since it will be on the bottle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals