• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump?

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Finally started my carbureted 302 97 ranger. I have a Holley bypass regulator, edelbrock 600 carb, stock in tank fuel pump. When i turn the key to on position, Fuel pump pressurizes regulator which i set to about 5-6 psi, started engine and brought up to about 2500 rpm for flat tappet cam break in, runs good until carb runs out of fuel! my fuel pressure gauge drops to zero as soon as it starts. That's what my brother told me cause he's watching for anything with first stat up. I had bought an inline electric fuel pump that i was planning on using until a motorhead buddy of mine talked me into using my original in tank pump with a bypass regulator. Does that sound like i need to replace the in tank pump? I want to keep my stock fuel gauge. Anyone know how i can keep it working and use an aftermarket electric fuel pump mounted to the frame?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It reads like you might have the fuel pump electrics hooked to START position on ignition switch.
Turn key to RUN and see if pump starts running and stays running, if not then you will need to tie it to a RUN circuit.

If you are still using Ranger Fuel Pump Relay then you need to Ground its coil wire(light blue/orange wire), and other coil wire(Red) will go to RUN circuit.

Last edited:

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have alot of connectors that aren't connected and won't be connected so i'm not sure what should be connected for the fuel pump issue that i'm having.... I bypassed neutral safety switch and have a cool push button start, probably hook up a toggle switch for electric inline fuel pump and get this bad ranger on the road! Lots of thinkin to do

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just run a mechanical pump?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Toggle switch for fuel pump relay is OK, fuel pump uses a 30 amp fuse

Just lift up engine fuse box you will see the wires for the fuel pump relay.
Find the light blue/orange wire

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Good morning fellas! Can't run mechanical pump, using explorer timing cover,water pump ect. I'll check fuel pump relay wires and go from there.

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My old neighbor who was a master mechanic at GM told me to turn power to the in tank pump and i can run my aftermarket electric pump and pull fuel through the factory pump. Does anyone know if i can do that and how to kill power to the pump and still retain sending unit?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel level Sending unit gets 5volt pulse power from a power supply on the backside of the instrument cluster on separate wire, yellow/white stripe

It also needs a Ground, orange wire, it comes from the tank and can be grounded at frame or can continue into the cab with the yellow wire and is ground near inertia switch.

Pump has separate Ground, black wire and of course a 12volt wire, pink/black stripe

Not sure that fuel can be pulled through a powered off fuel pump, the '86-'87 Rangers used a dual fuel pump system, low pressure pump in the tank and high pressure pump in the frame rail, I think if the low pressure pump failed fuel was cut off.

And if fuel pump in the tank is working no reason to add the external pump, same wiring would be required to get it working.

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I just ordered a new in tank replacement pump and strainer, seems how mine is original from 97 with 265k miles, replace it and get new one working right! Gonna get bed off again now ;-)

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Man did i ever screw up! I cleaned up my wiring harness by eliminating a lot of the plugs that weren't and never would be connected. Now i have no power to my fuel pump! I'm trying to wire in a toggle switch to turn the fuel pump on and off, just having a hell of a time figuring out what wire i need to power up! Giving myself a headache.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
from the fuel tank the Pink/Black stripe wire goes to the Inertia switch in the cab passenger side footwell, thats the wire that needs 12volts

There is a Black wire from the fuel tank as well, that is the Ground for the fuel pump, it maybe be grounded on the frame rail OR run with the pink wire into the cable and be Grounded near inertia switch location.

The fuel tank will also have a yellow wire and orange wire
Orange is the Ground for the fuel level sender
yellow is the 5volts for the fuel level sender

You shouldn't run the full amps for the fuel pump thru a toggle switch, but up to you.
using a toggle switch to turn on a relay is a better idea

painterdude923

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got it working! More wiring to tackle but I'll take care of it tomorrow. Thanks for your help bud!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the update

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals