• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing Radiator IN FRONT of the Support!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My factory housing was untapped - but some butthole (me) didn't have the thermostat properly seated when he tightened the bolts and broke it. So now I have one that is tapped. I got the same feeling as well on submerging the sensor. I don't want to either.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
LOL! Anyone that denies ever breaking a SBF thermostat housing that way is a damned liar!:icon_thumby:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i am glad it sounds cool.

straight thru mufflers i am referring too would be quieter and generally cooler running comparatively. but would sound much different.

i was considering the location of the restrictive mufflers so far away as actually increasing overheating issues you had with your original radiator. if you went to dyno's or stepped up a size or so with the flows you may have cooled the engine enough to have been perfect with the original radiator cooling.

i too like the sound of flowmasters....but flow restriction masters sometimes is a better description.

not staying under 240 with the radiator you had is a big flag to me.

i have full confidence in griffin. i considered the nascar setup, but the actual size of your radiator with the ac demand will benefit with a bigger radiator and as you yourself said power is addictive. if you keep it fat in fuel it should run cool and happy. but you build power or tighten the burn things change fast.

while your in here doing surgery it may be wise to take a minute more and invest a little more work into this all around.

i would not think twice about cutting off and widening the rails from the k member forward so that fitting the charger jewelry up front was a non issue along with a huge fat bastard radiator and ac condensor from a bus:D.

just throwing stuff out there

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
not staying under 240 with the radiator you had is a big flag to me.
In another post I also said that turning the heater blower on full blast brought the temp down to normal and that was on a 98F day and add another 10 or 15 from being on the asphalt Hwy.

...However that was before the SC install and as you might imagine that exasperated the problem.

After I get it running and there is still a problem I will indeed try deleting the mufflers. That would be easy to do and until you chimed in I had not given much thought to that restriction causing heat soak.

Thanks for throwing that in to the mix!

BTW, I'm also using Evans Waterless Coolant.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well, I've had issues with mine running hot as well. I just deleted the A/C because I quit using it over 10 years ago... but when it did work, it was a big struggle with temp control. I put an Edelbrock water pump on it, which helped. My question is though, I run MAC Flowpath mufflers which sound pretty similar to some Flowmasters. Do you consider this design to be restrictive?

Also, this is a video of the sound (at the end). This is right after I started it for the first time after swapping to GT40P heads.

Sent from my Quad Core Acer A210

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
BTW, I'm also using Evans Waterless Coolant.
Isn't that part of your cooling issue? The way I understand it those waterless coolants may be better for corrosion control but they don't cool as well.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Isn't that part of your cooling issue? The way I understand it those waterless coolants may be better for corrosion control but they don't cool as well.
The theory is that the much higher boiling point resists vaporization at hot spots in the motor. As coolant passes through the heads the temp spikes causing the coolant to boil. It's only a split second but vapor does not cool causing excessive combustion temps. This stuff has a much higher boiling point and in fact you do not even need to have a pressurized cooling system. The anti-corrosive properties are a side benefit.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The purpose of pressurizing the coolant is to prevent boiling and vaporizing. If you engine is built hot enough to still boil and vaporize with the stock pressure cap then you need to raise the system pressure, which may also require upgrading a lot of other stuff to handle it. If the engine is not built like such then you have other problem that need to be addressed, I do not believe that to be the case here (except possibly exhaust as mentioned above).

Evan's may allow you avoid this, but the stuff can't transfer heat as quickly and efficiently as a water based coolant so the engine will run hotter. With the higher operating temps of Evan's that 240 may be a real good operating temp for the engine. If you want to make the Evans run cooler you either need a much larger radiator (more than radiator + oil cooler) for more cooling capacity, or it needs to stay in the radiator longer (possibly higher temp thermostat). Otherwise you need to switch to something that will transfer heat faster.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Keep at it, Tominator!
Once it's in one piece, be sure to climb in it each day the sun shines!

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Nice vid! That things sounds impressive to say the least!:headbang:

Nice idle!

Looks like about the same radiator I used.

I used an aluminum fan shroud that I fabricated for dual fans. It's in a previous post. Cut out the support and mounted the Taurus fan to it.

Last edited:

tapiafox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Bringin this Thread back to life

What size was the radiator you use @tominator

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals