• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Quality Rant

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok I take my Ranger back to the dealer with 2 quality issues, first the headliner is cut too short and you can see the metal roof between the headliner and the trim above the seat belt. The second issue is the vehicle leans on the drivers side and doesn't sit level on level ground. The dealer and Ford say "there is nothing we can do that's just the way they are made". So I say it's normal to see metal from inside the vehicle because of poor quality on Ford's part. He says we can order a new headliner and it will do the same thing plus Ford won't let us because this is within Ford specs. As far as the leaning to one side they say "it's because the fuel tank is mounted on the left side of the bed and that's the characteristic of the vehicle". Again I say the engineers don't compensate for that? The service writer says your not the first person to complain about this but there are no TSB's for these issues. I call Ford customer relations center and they put me on hold and call the dealer and they tell me that's just the way it is you'll have to live with it, it's not a safety issue and there's no broken parts so Ford is not going to do anything about it. I say that's it, Ford is not going to stand behind their product and she says try taking it to another dealer and see what they tell you, so I do and the new dealer says that's just the way they are and Ford will not pay us to fix it right. I am so pissed at Ford and the way that they have handled this I went right to the Nissan dealership and am looking at Frontiers. They wonder why people don't buy domestic vehicles anymore.:mad:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sounds like someone needs to change their tampon.

Rangers have leaned on the drivers side since 1983....big deal. What PROBLEMS have you run into because of this?

And you can see some metal in the cab...did you check for exposed screw heads as well?

:nopityA:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, do what I did...call Ford directly and speak with a CR agent there. I had them replace, out of warranty, my entire front end, a shift lever, and the in tank pump by calling and raising heck with them.

That was on my Tempo...but it was worth the call. That bill would have cost me well over a grand...

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
there is kind of a reason they are killing off the ranger... rather than renovating it and stuffing it with a 6 speed auto/manual and a 3.7.

One is: boost F-series sales
Two is: sales are terrible

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I still see a lot of Rangers at the Ford dealerships that never get sold. They all look great to me. The workmanship is really sweet!! You order yours or pick it out on the lot? When I buy something new I go over the whole vehicle head to toe with the salesman and if there is something that is not right I either look at another vehicle or say...'I want that fixed before I pick it up'. It is your choice to make not theirs. Almost every Ranger I see on the road has the 'Ranger Lean'...especially with a full tank of gas!!! Mine has had it since it was new...it just was more noticeable when it got lifted....lol

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can understand the frustration with the headliner..... It wouldn't be that big of a deal with me, but to each his own.

You have a truck that's a year old... I wouldn't go trade it in on a new Nissan if I were you. Unless you paid cash for it, you probably have tons of negative equity. If you want to bury yourself deeper in payments, and interest over such a small problem, than go for it!

-Denny

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can understand the frustration with the headliner..... It wouldn't be that big of a deal with me, but to each his own.

You have a truck that's a year old... I wouldn't go trade it in on a new Nissan if I were you. Unless you paid cash for it, you probably have tons of negative equity. If you want to bury yourself deeper in payments, and interest over such a small problem, than go for it!

-Denny
Actually, a lot of dealerships will give you what you owe on the truck for your trade-in value on newish vehicles, just to get you into one of theirs. That is exactly what happened when my dad traded his two-year old Mazda b4000 for a RAM 1500.

Viva*the*Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's cool. I know what it's like to be upside down on a vehicle, and it blows! Some people just wind up with bigger payments, and a higher interest rate. It's a never ending cycle for them. Ha ha. I'm glad I'm not in that circle anymore!!

JPRanger03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My old 91 had a bit of a lean to it, never really bothered me too much though. My 03 actually sits pretty level.

I'd be kinda leery about the Frontiers, my buddies dad has one and it's given him nothing but problems

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you consider the fact that 20 gallons of gas weigh approximately 120 pounds (i think) and add in an average male driver weight of about 180, thats 300 pounds weight extra on the drivers side with full tank and driver. It WILL lean unless you put weight in the bed or roll around with low gas. Both cheap solutions are silly. That's why I'm going to have an in-bed tank made later on.

I don't think I'd ever buy a car off a lot brand new, for one, even if you pay it off that day in fat stacks of cash, you still lose a certain percentage as soon as you drive it off the lot. Also, mathematically, I've worked out that I could take the cost of just about any new version of a car/truck, and be able to buy a good used one and make it 5 times better with the price difference.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Blah blah blah Blahblahlbahlahblah. So then I went and cleaned the sand out of my vag. Blah blah blah blah..blah blah blah. blah blah blah. Blah! Again I say blah blah blah. I say that's it, blah blah blah.
Thats all I caught. Anybody else catch anything?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i didnt read the OP, but i read some of the other posts and i have decided that i'm not going to read the OP.....that is all, good day

Buckeyeman

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds like someone needs to change their tampon.

Rangers have leaned on the drivers side since 1983....big deal. What PROBLEMS have you run into because of this?

And you can see some metal in the cab...did you check for exposed screw heads as well?

:nopityA:
This is the most ignorant statement ever, and how much did you pay for your USED vehicle?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals