• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computer locations 88/89

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I was just wondering where the computer in an 89 bronco II is located? In my 88, it was behind the drivers door, just about behind the seat belt... My 89 has the new dash style though, so I was wondering if they were smart enough to move the computer when redesigning?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well in the gen 1 trucks that computers behind the driver's door was the Anti-lock brake box. That is now the gold colored box under the dash in the gen 2s and the 4wheel drive computer is behind the driver's door in the gen 2s. The engine computer is still in the same spot under the passenger side foot closeout panel.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well in the gen 1 trucks that computers behind the driver's door was the Anti-lock brake box. That is now the gold colored box under the dash in the gen 2s and the 4wheel drive computer is behind the driver's door in the gen 2s. The engine computer is still in the same spot under the passenger side foot closeout panel.
I have an 89 with a manual transfer case... The 4wd has a computer? didn't realise that...

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya know I rather forgot about that but if you have a factory manual xfercase then I'm not sure if the computer/wiring harness would be there then. Hmmm, if you have something there then I've no idea what it could be other than the 4x4 puter.:icon_confused:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ya know I rather forgot about that but if you have a factory manual xfercase then I'm not sure if the computer/wiring harness would be there then. Hmmm, if you have something there then I've no idea what it could be other than the 4x4 puter.:icon_confused:
I haven't pulled the panel off the inside, so I'm not sure if anything is back there... Was kinda trying to answer that question without riping it apart

Also does this mean the abs comp from my 88 is useless for the 89?

Last edited:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just pop off the little access panel and take a look to see if anything is there and yeah the 2nd gens have it mounted under the dash like the explorers so it would not be needed on the 89. When I put all the 92 Ex stuff in my 88 I had to graft the wiring to the frame harness as the anti-lock valve on the 1st gens is back by the gas tank and the 2nd gens are up below the master cyclinder on the frame rail.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is nothing behind drivers door on gen 2 BII. I have all the interior pulled out of mine at the moment for rebuild and found nothing there. Engine computer is behind the kick panel on pass. side as stated already. You shouldn't have a 4x4 computer if you have manual case. The transfer case computer that was mentioned is for elect. cases only and operates the shifting of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals