• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spare tire mounting

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I was wondering what people have done with their spare tires?
I have the stock tire rack (two of 'em, actually...) and was thinking of just modifying it to hold a bigger tire. (extend the part the tire bolts to out from the truck, I guess.)

I was just curious to see what other people do with their spares.
Pictures would be awesome!

Thanks.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
here was mine, ended up taking it off, ditching the lights for rock lights. too much wind resistance. hell a b2 is like throwing a brick in the wind anyways

prolly gonna get a surco roof rack and try it again with a 30x9.50 when i go to 33's

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
here was mine, ended up taking it off, ditching the lights for rock lights. too much wind resistance. hell a b2 is like throwing a brick in the wind anyways

prolly gonna get a surco roof rack and try it again with a 30x9.50 when i go to 33's
probably not going to want to run a 30 for a spare while rolling 33s...

And yeah, Im not a big fan of sticking a tire up on my roof, I have two of these "nice" stock tire racks, and would like to keep the tire hangin' out at the back of my truck...
Hopefully, my tire will stick out far enough to block my plates from the cameras on the local toll bridges...

headhunter257

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
had a 87
had a
Make / Model
bronco 2 87
br
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
most bronco 2 rear tire holders crack the fiberglass under the paint iv done 2 complete bronco 2 sand downs and yeah both were cracked and to go any off road trails nothing crazy im talking logging roads it bounces around crazy might as well throw in in the back of the truck or on the roof but on the roof you hear the roof flex so i just put it in the back of the truck

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
most bronco 2 rear tire holders crack the fiberglass under the paint iv done 2 complete bronco 2 sand downs and yeah both were cracked and to go any off road trails nothing crazy im talking logging roads it bounces around crazy might as well throw in in the back of the truck or on the roof but on the roof you hear the roof flex so i just put it in the back of the truck
Back of the truck has limited free space.. Once I load up my jacks, tow rope, extra fluids, a bit of fire wood, and a bit of camping gear Im all out of room. Gotta put a baby seat in the back seat, so limited on extra space there too.
Where does it crack? Right behind where the tire carrier mounts, on the back gate?

Has anyone come up with something to remedy the problem of the tire bouncing around?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you're gonna want to replace your rear bumper with a swing out. you don't NOT want a body mounted tire rack if you wheel... it can cause some major damage. if you can weld n stuff-- make your own rear bumper with this
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/Tire-Carrier-Swingout-Component-Builders-Kit.html
or
http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181

i like the latch system on the 2nd one more.

i've seen people before that have done similar stuff on their stock bumper also. idk how well it works tho.

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The stock carriers aren't that supportive. The body on mine sags on the side the tire used to hang on, put too much stress on it i guess... Wish I had a roof rack to carry a spare, now I just don't have one...

headhunter257

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
had a 87
had a
Make / Model
bronco 2 87
br
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
yeah both of my old bronco 2 the crack went from the right to left facing the fiberglass door right threw both bolt holes

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's mine I built about a month ago. The silver looking plate on top of the bumper is a hinged locking lid that covers a storage space for my snow chains. The bumper is made from 8" 'C' chanel, slightly modified.

Attachments

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've been thinking about a solution for my stock tire carrier to keep from cracking the rear gate. I think I'm going to try extending the "leg" that comes out the bottom and has the big rubber stopper on it. It clears the stock bumper by about 2 inches. If I extend that down to where I have to lift it slightly to latch the tire carrier, the weight of the tire will be supported on the bumper instead of the bracket that mounts to the hatch. Might work?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals