• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.2 into a ranger

g_ville_4life

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1985
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.8
Transmission
Automatic
i was just wandering if a 4.2 can bolt up to a 1986 for ranger 4x4

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
bolt in? no....far from it.

the swap can and has been done, but it requires custom work.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
The tech pages show a 3.8 swap. The 4.2 is a stroked version of the 3.8 so it is possible. I say go for it. There is nothing wrong with doing something a little different. The key is to not get frustrated when things don't go exactly right (or go completely off the rails). If you have access to the motor and associated electronics, go for it. Dare to be different, buddy.

g_ville_4life

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1985
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.8
Transmission
Automatic
thanks what vechicles come with the 3.8 or 4.2 that i could put intoa 1986 ford ranger 4x4

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the 3.8 came in the thunder chickens and mini vans. the 4.2 was only in the f-150 i believe.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.2 went into 97-07 F-150's and was put in minivans as well. The 3.8 was put into a bunch of cars (Mustangs, Thunderbirds, older minivans and more) Quite often ford uses a unique bellhousing bolt pattern for the FWD engines, I don't know if they did for the 3.8/4.2 engines as well. If you do it they had a recall that replaced the headgaskets as they would leak coolant, so while you have it out that would be a golden oppertunity to replace them.

Black_Splash

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the 3.8 came in the thunder chickens and mini vans. the 4.2 was only in the f-150 i believe.
The 4.2 is in a few newer Windstar and probably Freestar minivans also. The 3.8 I believe was in the Mustang also.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had a '93 Taurass with a 3.8L. It had a couple head gasket failures in it's day, but got rid of it when the transmission went at 202K.

Pete

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if you're swapping motors just b/c u want a project or b/c u want a more powerful truck... but my buddy has a 95 f-150 witha 4.2 and my 92 3.0 will blow it's doors off. granted the f-150 is a substancial amount heavier, but if you want a super powerful ranger just got all out and drop in the 5.0 =]

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
3.8 can be a killer motor. its pretty much a 351w with 2 cylinders wacked off and on a metirc configuration.

they do have problems with head gaskets, not enuff clamping force in area's.they are not a very good junkyard swap motor for the fact if you ask me. ford may have taken care of this with the 4.2, I dont know. did a little dealing with the 3.8 right as the 4.2 was coming out.

you also have to take a good notch out of the frame rail to clear the exuast manifolds on N/A 3.8's

the FWD drive motors do have a diffrent belhousing bolt pattern.the the blocks are marked/casted wth FWD

89-95 came roller,can be converted to carb with a aftermarket intake.
then I think in 96 they got a balance shaft
the later model windtard's had a split manifold set up, kinda like the SHO motor's, on the 3.8's

for a few years in the thunderchickens and cougars they had a blown 3.8L

and nothing from the ranger will BOLT up.

unless you going after a killer 3.8 or 4.2 not really worth it, 4.0L SOHC would be a simpler bolt in type of swap if you after more power.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
3.8 can be a killer motor. its pretty much a 351w with 2 cylinders wacked off and on a metirc configuration.

they do have problems with head gaskets, not enuff clamping force in area's.they are not a very good junkyard swap motor for the fact if you ask me. ford may have taken care of this with the 4.2, I dont know. did a little dealing with the 3.8 right as the 4.2 was coming out.

you also have to take a good notch out of the frame rail to clear the exuast manifolds on N/A 3.8's

the FWD drive motors do have a diffrent belhousing bolt pattern.the the blocks are marked/casted wth FWD

89-95 came roller,can be converted to carb with a aftermarket intake.
then I think in 96 they got a balance shaft
the later model windtard's had a split manifold set up, kinda like the SHO motor's, on the 3.8's

for a few years in the thunderchickens and cougars they had a blown 3.8L

and nothing from the ranger will BOLT up.

unless you going after a killer 3.8 or 4.2 not really worth it, 4.0L SOHC would be a simpler bolt in type of swap if you after more power.
for all 3.8 and 4.2 info check out v6power.net, its a mustang site so no competition for the rangers, but tons of info on the 3.8's a kicka$$ mod for the stock 3.8 is the upper windstar intake, flows much better and looks much better, alot more torque. windstars came with 3.8s and 4.2 style intakes but theres a material thickness difference. lotta good writeups on teh internet.

Evil Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 & 2000
Engine Size
4.2 & 4.6
Transmission
Automatic
Also a note that the 3.8/4.2 block is stronger then the 5.0 block. The block will not split down the middle like the 302 and with stock internals has been proven to over 400RWHP. The Rods are the weak point with the pistons coming in as a close second. With a 4.2 Crank/forged rods and pistons the potential is well over 600RWHP with a turbo or supercharger.

I sold my 2.3 Turbo Ranger and bought a 3.8 Mustang that I have turbocharged and am currently making 350 to the rear wheels on a stock 120k mile motor. They are a good canidate for a Ranger swap. The dimensions are similar in width to a 302 so you will need to do the same modification to the heater/AC Core box. I did a 302 swap into a 91 Ranger 10 years ago and remember it well...

mhagedon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a supercharged 3.8 in my '90 thunderbird super coupe. The car was very very rough, and had 146k when i picked it up for 400 bucks. After a few cans of sea foam the thing ran great! It was my work car for about two years, and i drove the hell out of it. Traded it with 190k on the clock. Averaged 29 mpg on a round trip to South Dakota (@75 mph) The S/C motor came in the super coupe and the cougar xr7 in the early ninetys and might make a neat swap into a ranger, although i felt the motor was pretty gutless.. It ALWAYS ran cold and smelled like antifreeze :/

I kinda miss that car, but i traded it for my ranger straight up! :)

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a supercharged 3.8 in my '90 thunderbird super coupe. The car was very very rough, and had 146k when i picked it up for 400 bucks. After a few cans of sea foam the thing ran great! It was my work car for about two years, and i drove the hell out of it. Traded it with 190k on the clock. Averaged 29 mpg on a round trip to South Dakota (@75 mph) The S/C motor came in the super coupe and the cougar xr7 in the early ninetys and might make a neat swap into a ranger, although i felt the motor was pretty gutless.. It ALWAYS ran cold and smelled like antifreeze :/

I kinda miss that car, but i traded it for my ranger straight up! :)
Can't go wrong with a straight Ranger trade

solow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
v 8 v 6
Transmission
Automatic

you can use the 4.2 block and 3.8 pistons have a stroked 4.3 use the 3.8 heads and run a eaton supercharger ? lot of parts and wiring but can be done
I have a 90 thunderbird sc and a ranger with a v 8
know em both depends on time money and patients.. I am looking for a 4.2 to steal the crank out of now

LIL advice if the motor is not a 98 or newer dont even try.
they fixed the head gasket problem and the oil pan on the early ones wont fit the ranger :stirthepot:I dont think .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals